From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2013 and Windows10

Yes, we know that LabVIEW 2013 - 2016 will not run on Windows 10.  My question is: Do I need to uninstall LabVIEW 2013 before upgrading W7 to W10?  It seems that if the uninstaller is LabVIEW 2013 then we could be messed up.

Yes, we've purchased LabVIEW 2020 but we have 9 W7 PCs to upgrade.  Most of these will run *.exe but LabVIEW 2013 *.exe made with application builder will not run on W10 either.

Yes, I've checked the drivers and HD surfaces and these work$tation PCs are still good.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,168 Views)

Honestly, I'd just buy a new computer with Win10 already on it and install everything fresh.  I never do in-place Windows upgrades.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,143 Views)

To directly answer your question, if you want to uninstall "old" versions of LabVIEW that won't run under Windows 10, and plan to install Windows 10 "on top off" Windows 7, then, yes, you must uninstall older version of LabVIEW before upgrading Windows.

The safest way to do this is to open Control Panel, Programs and Features, National Instruments Software, and choose "Remove All" (or words to that effect).  After the uninstall and reboot, re-open Control Panel and make sure that National Instruments Software seems to be gone.  You might also find JKI (VIPM), VISA, and IVI branches in the Programs and Features list -- these can also safely be removed.  There may be a few others, but it has been 4-5 years since I went through this exercise, but this should catch most of the Major Players.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,115 Views)

Are you sure?

@Saturn233207  ha scritto:

Yes, we know that LabVIEW 2013 - 2016 will not run on Windows 10. 

Are you sure?
It still occurs to me from time to time to install LabVIEW 2011 programs on Windows 10. They still work. It depends largely on the drivers you need, of course.

As you see in my signature, I'm currently working with LabVIEW 2011, 2017 and 2019 all on the same machine.

I've also LabVIEW 7 and 2011 with old drivers on VM's.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,083 Views)

@pincpanter wrote:

Are you sure?

@Saturn233207  ha scritto:

Are you sure?
It still occurs to me from time to time to install LabVIEW 2011 programs on Windows 10. They still work. It depends largely on the drivers you need, of course.

As you see in my signature, I'm currently working with LabVIEW 2011, 2017 and 2019 all on the same machine.

I've also LabVIEW 7 and 2011 with old drivers on VM's.

I think what the OP meant was that they aren't officially compatible.  But I think it goes back to LV 2015 SP1.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,078 Views)

@Saturn233207 wrote:

I've been using LV13 for years on Windows 10.

It might not be supported, but I never had any problems.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,064 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Saturn233207 wrote:

I've been using LV13 for years on Windows 10.

It might not be supported, but I never had any problems.

Yes, that's the distinction.  "Will not" is a bit strong.  "Unsupported" is better.  I have LV 2012 SP1 residing on my Win10 machine and it works just fine.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,059 Views)

NI is not supporting Windows 10 for LabVIEW versions prior to 2015 SP1. That does not mean that it does not work but that NI has not tested it and is not going to test it and will not support it if a customer tries to do it anyways.

I have Windows 10 environments running in virtual machines that run versions of LabVIEW as old as 6.0. If all you want to run is LabVIEW itself, which is my reason to have those installation for testing and version conversion of old LabVIEW VIs, then it will generally just run (and the loading of such old versions on modern hardware will be amazing, it's basically an instant start within a second or two after you select to start it 😁).

If you also need to use drivers beyond the standard supported interfaces such as native TCP/IP and the hard integrated VISA and GPIB interfaces, things get more complicated. TCP/IP simply works on all Windows versions, VISA and GPIB you can install whatever driver version supports your OS version without any problems on the LabVIEW side since the LabVIEW support for these drivers is hardwired inside LabVIEW.

Any other drivers will require your driver installer to support your LabVIEW version as they need to install support VIs in order for you to use that driver in LabVIEW. Here things get more complicated. Generally the NI drivers support the current LabVIEW version when the driver was release and the 3 prior LabVIEW versions. So if you can install for instance NI DAQmx 16.x on your machine it will come with support for LabVIEW 2013 up to 2016. The oldest version of NI DAQmx that is supported for Windows 10 is 15.5 so you can actually make this work.

Note that this is specifically for DAQmx, other software drivers might have a somewhat different compatibility.

The main message I have is, that LabVIEW itself is almost never the problem when trying to run it on officially unsupported OS versions, especially when it is about running an old LabVIEW version on a newer OS. The problem is usually with the drivers you need to use specific hardware. These drivers really will need to be checked to be compatible with your OS. Installing DAQmx 13.0 on Windows 10 MAY work sometimes but is really a risky exercise. The support these drivers have for older LabVIEW versions will usually limit how far back you can go with LabVIEW, not if NI states that your LabVIEW version is supported on a specific OS version.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 8 of 8
(2,052 Views)