LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2012 takes very long to start

Solved!
Go to solution

It takes one minute after I double-click on *.lvproj file for the LabVIEW Licensing Wizard to appear.

I click on the Launch button.

Then it takes another 30 seconds for the Licensing Wizard window to close and the LabVIEW window to appear.

Then it takes another 45 seconds for the entire project to fully load.

All total = 2 minutes 15 seconds

The LabVIEW 2012 32-bit is running on a laptop running with Window 10 with i7 cpu and 8GB of RAM.

I am at a lost what is causing this long boot-up.

I have disabled NI Device Monitor in start-up.

Any ideas what else to try?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,712 Views)

Have you installed any extra toolkits or add-ons through VIPM?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,666 Views)

1. The more toolkits you install, the longer it will take.  Uninstall any unnecessary toolkits.

2. You can try having the palettes load in the background.  This is somewhere in the options dialog.

3. 2012 is not supported on Windows 10, so this could be adding to the problem.

4. Right around that time frame, NI started doing a lot of work on improving load times.  So you might want to consider upgrading.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,654 Views)

Wasn't there something about the LabVIEW News crawler that slowed things to a crawl on some machines, such that they actually introduced an option in later versions to turn it off?  (You can still do this in the LabVIEW.ini, I believe, even if you have a version before this was an option.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,642 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author njacacia

Instead of fighting the problem, I decided to ask IT to re-image the laptop with Windows 10.

As I write this, LabVIEW 2012 is being installed via command line script.

I had read the KB that NI does not support LabVIEW 2012 on Windows 10.

I will have to cross that bridge when I see the behavior once LabVIEW 2012 is installed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,627 Views)

No issues so far with LabVIEW 2012 32-bit running in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

I am not sure what the previous LabVIEW developer did, but LabVIEW is loading much quicker than it was before.  Maybe that's why he quit without giving any notice.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,608 Views)