From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2012 SP1 takes ages to install

Just wondering - why on earth should the SP1 patch to LV2012 take 45 minutes to install on a 2.8 Ghz multi core PC with 8 GB ram ?

I get a feeling that I am saddled with quite a massive amount of unwanted universal stuff - like the zillion printer drivers that install with a Windows OS - just so that it can be called plug and play !

Gone are the days when programs used to come in minimum foot print code 😉

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,110 Views)

@Raghunathan wrote:

Just wondering - why on earth should the SP1 patch to LV2012 take 45 minutes to install on a 2.8 Ghz multi core PC with 8 GB ram ?

I get a feeling that I am saddled with quite a massive amount of unwanted universal stuff - like the zillion printer drivers that install with a Windows OS - just so that it can be called plug and play !

Gone are the days when programs used to come in minimum foot print code 😉

I'm sure this post was just a rant to vent some frustration, but I'm going to take it at face value, hoping this doesn't annoy you.

LabVIEW has always taken a long time to install.  I remember having the task of installing the new fangled LabVIEW 6.1 on our machine and mass compile our reuse library.  I was told it would likely take a couple days.  I was pleased when I did it in one day.  The install took many hours and I think it was done around 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  This was without any toolkits or add-ons just LabVIEW and the Device Drivers.  Then I set it up to mass compile our library and I'm unsure how long into the night it took but it was done by morning.

I've gotten good a streamlining the process of setting up a development environment.  When a new set of developer suite DVDs come in I combine them so it doesn't prompt me to swap disks during the install.  I do still get prompted for the Device Drivers after the Developer Suite is installed.  Then I have a VI Package Configuration in Package Manager which install all internal/external reuse, add quick drop shortcuts, templates, LabVIEW.INI settings, and other settings with just a single prompt at the start.

It isn't fast by any means, but I'd guess I can go from a fresh Window image to having a PC setup, including a SVN repository checkout in 3 hours or so.

Oh but I do appreciate a minimal footprint program.  I heard Doom was originally written in assembly.  And that the full binary of Doom 1 takes up less space on disk, than a save file of Doom 3.  Also .kkrieger blew my mind when I first saw it in 2004.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,090 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:
I'm sure this post was just a rant to vent some frustration, but I'm going to take it at face value, hoping this doesn't annoy you.

!! No not at all Smiley Happy

In fact you almost read my feelings with teh first line... I fired up the update just when I was about to close for the day and THEN it was looking ages as it seemed stuck on some places like 44% ... 48% and so on. And the worst part with these long winded installs is you are scared to CANCEL. You do not know how good the process will terminate and the one thing I hate is to have orphan files all over the disk. Its the surprise element that annoyed - when I start with a new install of  LV and DAQMx drivers i know I am out for 2 hours by the time i finish activating. So I plan accordingly.

I have my roots in assembly coding and C for microcontrollers and there were days when I have spent hours to reduce the size of code so that it would just fit in a memory the chip had ( 64K byte was a luxury with some MCUs ) .

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,057 Views)