From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2011 x64 & Add-Ons ???

Hello,

I have moved from XP x32 to Win7 x64. I downloaded LabVIEW 2011 x64 believing that all add-ons (modules, suites and toolkits) would work. LVx64 is very fast but I had to install LVx32 to allow installation of all the add-ons functionality. Browsing the ni.com i run into this document:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/10383

I see "LV 2011 Embedded Module for ARM" would not work on "Windows 7 (x64 using 32-bit software)"...Does that mean:

(1) It will install on LabVIEW 2011 x32 (installed on Win7 x64) BUT it will not work?

(2) It will NOT even install on LabVIEW 2011 x32 (installed on Win7 x64)?

I have never even considered how handicapped I would be working on Windows7 x64! - How could NI allow this to be? Three versions already!!!

What should I do to solve this situation with add-ons "not supported" to run on Windows7 x64 using LabVIEW 2011 x32?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,671 Views)

You'll need to get a definitive answer from NI, but my guess is that the toolkit uses some kernel-mode drivers that don't work in a 64-bit OS.  To run in a 64-bit OS you need 64-bit drivers.

As for your complaint, let me add my support to it. I think NI is considerably behind on providing 64-bit support for all their software. In their defense, however, they have a LOT of software, so this is a monumental task. I suspect part of their plan is based on how much 64-bit OS is actually used "out in the field". The last results I had seen indicated that while 64-bit OS use was clearly the future, it was still in the minority (less than 40%). This was about a year ago.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,649 Views)

Damn! Why releasing bits of software then? It is a mess to install x32 and x64 environments and their modules side by side when some of them can be emulated, and the rest not! Isn't it better to WAIT until the moment to dive into the x64 world and have all the time in the world to prepare for that meanwhile?

Thanks for the response though!

:)))

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,646 Views)

I feel your pain, golubovski . I am well aware of the grief 64-bit has caused! 

Let me throw another zone.ni article your way which describes the National Instruments Minimum Version Requirements for Microsoft Windows 7 . 

I will confirm the NI LabVIEW Embedded Module for ARM Microcontrollers is NOT compatible with 64-bit windows nor 64-bit windows emulating 32-bit software. I suspect the reason for "pre-mature" release of 64-bit architectures is to give users the option of leveraging the additional RAM, to quote the article, 

"The primary advantage [of 64-bit architecture] is the ability to make use of additional computer memory. A computer running a 32-bit Windows operating system is limited to using a maximum of 4 GB of RAM. Such a limitation does not exist with 64-bit architecture. Windows 7 and 64-bit Windows Vista have a maximum memory limit of between 8 and 192 GB." 

I'm sorry you were unaware of the lack of support for much of our existing software on 64-bit systems. It is true that many of our toolkits and add-ons aren't yet supported on the newest platforms. You might also want to take a look at Using National Instruments Products on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows . It might not be of much condolence to you, but I hope the explanations give you an understanding of the considerations to make in choosing 64-bit. 

Thanks!

Best,

--
Peter Rifken - Field Engineer & Business Manager
Boston / North New England & Maine
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,621 Views)

Peter,

Thank you for responding! When will NI release full x64 compatibility? That is the crutial question!!! The reason for not using 64-bit environemnent is

exaclty the lack of NI support for it - not the vice versa! A 64-bit PC is about $500, LabVIEW is almost $4.000!!! Matlab is 64-bit, VisualStudio is 64 bit...

So WHEN? If in the course of 2012 - OK, I can wait. But if I have to wait indefinite then I need to know now! This issue is affecting our plans and budget for future investments and strategies - we have the right to know!

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,615 Views)

I wish I had an answer for you. I am not keyed in on R&D plans to increase compatibility with 64-bit architecture for a wider range of products, so I'm not going to make any promises I can't keep, but you should expect by 2012 many more software add-ons will be able to run in the 64-bit environment. If you want, feel free to join the debate on 32-bit vs 64-bit here, scrolling to the bottom, many people are still hesitant to move. Which add-ons would you like to see running in 64-bit? You can possible generate momentum to get 64-bit compatibility for the software by engaging the NI Community here .  

Thanks for your understanding! 

--
Peter Rifken - Field Engineer & Business Manager
Boston / North New England & Maine
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,610 Views)

Golubovski,

The not supported means that whatever you use it for may not work in the end. I spoke with the Embedded Arm support group and usually the toolkit will fail in compiling or deploying to the board. 

There may be ways around this, but currently we do not support these, so if you do end up trying to use the toolkit we will be unable to assist you as we don't have access to a working 64bit system to help you.

Alot of the benefits from LabVIEW 64bit were developed for the vision group as they work with the largest sets of data currently.

You can make a post in the idea exchange to let R&D know that you would like this feature, unfortunately we do not have a ETA.

Edit: Sorry sat on my reply to long before submitting. 

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,602 Views)

Kyle,

I'd ask 2 questions regarding the matter and I'd be more than grateful if you can consult the EmbeddedARM support team:

Can I use a VMware Player for a 32-bit XP environment hosting LabVIEW for ARM? I ask this because I will need to use at least 2 USB ports for the JTAG. Is this a feasible idea for a stable development setup?

What does "usually fail in compiling/deployment" mean statistically (?%) and where is the culprit - in LV or in Keil's compiler?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,592 Views)

Golubovski,

I've gone ahead and forwarded it to the team that supports embedded arm. It will be easier for them to assist you than for me to relay information. 

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,584 Views)

All,

I want to clarify a couple of things here.

You are correct that there is no 64-bit version of LabVIEW Embedded for ARM, however, you can certainly use LabVIEW Embedded for ARM 2011 with LabVIEW 2011 32-bit on Windows 7 64-bit.

There is only one feature of LabVIEW Embedded for ARM that is not supported on in the 64-bit operating system (explained below).

In LabVIEW Embedded for ARM 2011 we added the EK-LM3S8962 USB target which allows you to target the EK-LM3S8962 evaulation board without using the ULINK2 JTAG debugger. In order to support the USB version of the target we need to instal the Luminary Micro Driver for EK-LM3S8962. This driver is only available as a 32-bit driver. While applicatoin software can run in WOW64 (Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit) drivers cannot. Therefore in Windows 7 x64 you cannot use the EK-LM3S8962 USB target. You can still use the EK-LM3S8962 target with the ULINK2 JTAG debugger.

When you install LabVIEW Embedded for ARM 2011 on a Windows 7 64-bit PC the driver is automatically disabled and will not install. You can perform a custom install and try to force the driver to install, but since it is not build for a 64-bit system it will fail. The rest of the ARM module will install and function correctly.

USB Target Edited.png

I hope this clarifies the situation.  Please let me know if you have any more questions regarding this topic, and I appologize for any confusion this caused.

Sam K

LabVIEW Embedded Product Support Engineer

National Instruments R&D

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,531 Views)