LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2010 crashes when moving objects with arrowkeys

Hi guys!

I have an annoying problem. LabVIEW 2010 crashes a lot in Windows 7 when moving objects. For instance I click on a wire or object in my block diagram. Then I move it around with the arrowkeys on my keyboard. At a random given time LabVIEW crashes without any message or anything. Then I have to relaunch LabVIEW in order to get the restored backup.

So for now I have to hit CTRL+S every ten seconds in order to not redo all my work. Really annoying this problem.

Anyone with the same experience or with any solution to this?

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,679 Views)

Hi Even.

I have not heard of this problem before. Are you talking about moving wires/objects in general or are there any more specific info you can give?

Have you downloaded the latest bugfix?

What screen setup are you using(single, multiple)?

Do you have sufficient memory on the PC? How is the memory consuption when the crash occurs?

-Tom

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,633 Views)

I have used 2010 on a variety of platforms (including lots of Windows 7) and have not seen this issue and I almost exclusively move objects with the arrow keys or shift + arrow keys, etc. I only have Labview plus Vision though. Does this happen in more than one VI? Can you repeat the problem by starting a new project, with a new vi created in 2010 and nothing else open?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,617 Views)

Hi guys and thanks for the answer!

I have only LabVIEW 2010 BDS open. Memory consumption was 112.000 kB. Then I marked some wires and a forloop(can be any other object also) and moved it around with my arrowkeys. Suddenly memory consumption went up to 178.000 kB and LabVIEW crashed without any error message. My setup is one screen only. I have 4GB RAM(but runs 32-bit version of windows due to our incompatible network administrator who installed my computer before I got itSmiley Mad)  and about 60% is free at all time.

I've tried to replicated the same error on a new vi for a few minutes now, but without any luck. So it could have been just this one VI. I've attached a video. The error occurs after one minute. In the video the memory consumption goes from 112.000 kB to 178.000 kB. Then crash.

The video is lagging a bit, but I hope you can see the problem.

P.S! The video is zipped with winrar and is a .swf file. Can run in a browser if you have shockweave flash installed(should be standard on most browsers).

The video was to large to upload here so I had to zip it and split the file. The forum won't let me upload .rar files. There for I had to winzip the winrar filesSmiley Mad

In order to unzip it, download both files, unzip them and you will get a "LV_Crash.part1.rar" and a "LV_Crash.part2.rar" file. Store them in the same folder, i.e. Desktop. Then right-click one of them and choose "Extract to LV_Crash\". You need to have winrar installed on your computer.

Regards,
Even

Automated Test Developer
Topro AS
Norway
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,592 Views)

Hi.

I was not able to unpack the files(said the files were damaged).

Are you using sequence structures? I have been able to find some information that the problem relates to flat sequence structures. If this is the case you should avoud sequence structures

I have also found two ways to reduce the problem. One way is to move objects around using the mouse. The other way is to modify the registry key below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\GDIProcessHandleQuota

The default value of this key is 10000.  You can change it to a maximum of 65535, which will reduce the frequency of LabVIEW crashes.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,510 Views)