From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVOOP ImageMagick Interface v1.0.1 Released

Justin Goeres Engineering is pleased to announce the release of the LVOOP ImageMagick Interface library, an LVOOP-based toolkit to facilitate the use of the powerful ImageMagick utility suite from inside LabVIEW.  It is available in the LAVA Code Repository, via the link above.

The LVOOP ImageMagick Interface library supports all of the ImageMagick utilities and almost every command-line operator (over 200 of them) with support for custom user-specfied operators for the edge cases. Several examples are included that demonstrate basic text & image creation, composition, and conversion in and out of LabVIEW (including VI icon creation).

It also gives LabVIEW as a language a spot on the list of official external ImageMagick APIs.
The LVOOP ImageMagick Interface is available above under the GPL. Other licensing terms may be available. Contact Justin Goeres Engineering for details.
Message 1 of 6
(4,005 Views)

I know this is somewhat old and all...

I've been trying to figure out gifsicle to resize gifs with no luck (even just using windows cmd line)...  I thought ImageMagick might be an alternative- but when i downloaded the exe it came with way more dll's and files than I expected, and I'm not sure where to start, or what dll to call... (I guess it's much more versatile than gifsicle?).

The link for image magick oop stuff doesn't seem to be working for me, is this no longer available?

Thanks for any info

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,431 Views)

Hello PatLyons,

It appears that the LVOOP download was moved to this location:

LVOOP ImageMagick Interface 1.0.1

http://lavag.org/files/file/48-lvoop-imagemagick-interface/

I don't have any experience with the tool, but I imagine it should give you a nicer LabVIEW interface to all of those dlls and files you described.

Regards,

Tom L.
Message 3 of 6
(3,425 Views)

Hi Pat,

I can help. (And I confess I'm surprised to get a reply notification on this thread – blast from the past!)

My old LVOOP ImageMagick library may or may not work anymore. I think that later versions of IM (or maybe LabVIEW itself) changed some stuff around and broke it. And it's not a VI Package so it's a hassle to deal with. Honestly, at this point I'd recommend doing what you need from scratch. It's pretty easy. Read on.

First, let's get you a portable, static-linked version of ImageMagick that doesn't have all those DLLs cluttering things up. Here's a direct download link that I think will work. It's from this page, and you can find it yourself if you do a Find there for "portable."

Once you've got that, unzip it. You should see a bunch of different EXE files. Those are the ImageMagick utilities. The one you want is convert.

You should be able to resize a gif by cd'ing to the directory where the convert.exe is, and doing convert <input_file> -resize 400x500 <output_file>, using whatever size you want. You can run that command line via LabVIEW's System Exec.vi and you'll be good to go.

You'll probably want to package the convert utility with your application or locate it somehow near your source code. Good news – it's trivial. The convert.exe works standalone, with no DLLs or anything. Totally portable. I just did something similar a couple months ago on a customer project and it worked great.

Post back here if you have any trouble and I'll try to help.

Message 4 of 6
(3,406 Views)

Justin thank a lot!

it works!

I'll post up my code here when I'm done.  I'm just practicing a little for my CLD (putting together QSM from scratch, as I've been using a really fancy QSM that I know I wont be able to build in time for a CLD test) and resizing gifs in my collection that are too large.

-pat

edit:  it seems if I just do 100x  and leave the width blank it just scales the image and keeps aspect ratio which is great

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,293 Views)

Awesome. Glad it works for you.

> I'm just practicing a little for my CLD (putting together QSM from scratch, as I've been using a really fancy QSM that I know I wont be able to build in time for a CLD test)

In that case, you might also be interested in a little blog post I wrote a couple years ago: Pass Your CLD Exam The JKI Way.

> edit:  it seems if I just do 100x  and leave the width blank it just scales the image and keeps aspect ratio which is great

That's absolutely true, and a great feature of IM. I think there's also a way to write the arguments to be smart about things, e.g. "resize this image so the largest dimension is 100px, preserving aspect ratio" but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

The ImageMagick Examples site is also really tremendous. I use IM for lots of stuff and consult the examples regularly.

Message 6 of 6
(3,272 Views)