LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVHDF5 1.0

It's been a long time in coming, but I have completed a new version of the HDF5 Toolkit for LabVIEW that was first released in 2006 (see here). The aptly named LVHDF5 Toolkit (version 1.0) is a hefty redesign of the original toolkit (version 0.9) and should solve most of the performance issues with that library while maintaining the flexibility of the the original design.

The toolkit is free to use but does have restrictions on redistribution.

http://www.upvi.net/main/index.php/products/lvhdf5

Message 1 of 8
(4,864 Views)

Put it up on the Tools Network!

Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
Choose Movement Consulting
choose-mc.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,708 Views)
Well which is it? Is the software free or are there restrictions? You can't have it both ways. Do users have access to the block diagrams or are they locked (i.e. useless).

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,690 Views)
The toolkit is free as in 'beer'. Not open source (at least not completely, and certainly not according to Stallman).

I'd hardly call locked diagrams useless, if the VI's do what you want.

But, all that said, the diagrams are not locked, but a core part of the magic isn't on a block diagram.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,678 Views)

You know its funny, people always say that the diagrams are locked because the want to protect their "intellectual property" but somehow it always seems that when I do get access to the code it turns out that the code stinks on ice.

And yes 3rd party VIs with block diagrams that are locked are useless. You see the problem all lies in the phrase "...if the VIs do what you want...". They typically don't and with locked diagrams you can't fix the problems.

Finally, this is not a hobby forum. We are here because we do this work professionally. Commercial restrictions also make the code useless -- unless of course you are giving away a set of Ginsu knives with each purchase. I can always use a few more Ginsu knives...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 5 of 8
(4,673 Views)

@Jason_S wrote:

I'd hardly call locked diagrams useless, if the VI's do what you want.

But, all that said, the diagrams are not locked, but a core part of the magic isn't on a block diagram.

Glad to see they are not locked.  I agree with Mike about the disappointment of locked diagrams.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,607 Views)

I tend to agree as well--as a user. As a developer--I'm less sure. Protecting my work from theft? I can get behind that.

It may often be true that locked diagrams cover up lousy code, but, we don't really know for sure, do we? Having seen a lot of both proprietary and open-source code in my life, I guess I'm of the opinion that most all of it is lousy, or at least could be a lot better. That's not arrogance speaking, simply that the realities of development schedules and human fallibility work hard against correct and beautiful code.

On an mildly related note, version 1.0.3 will be released today. This revision is mostly about pretty icons (beautiful "code"?). @Will_S, it's now ready for submission to LVTN.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,580 Views)
Here's the application:
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/12901/en/
Will
CLA, CLED, CTD, CPI
LabVIEW Champion
Choose Movement Consulting
choose-mc.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8