LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV8: Tools->"convert build script" - shortcuts fail

When I convert a LV7 Build Script into a LV8 project using the built-in conversion wizard, it works quite well, except for the Installer.  It is created as a blank spec (which is no big drama since I know that this is one area that has been improved in LV8), but there is one small thing.  I am unable to add any Start Menu Shortcuts (clicking on the + button does nothing at all).  I also notice that I am unable to set any folder as the default installation folder (in the Source Files tab).  I can edit the project file manually myself and add in the shortcuts and set the default directory, and then all is well - I can add further shortcuts, define the default folder etc.  But obviously it would be nice not to have to do this.  It has happened on several build scripts - every one I that have converted, so I don't think it is anything perculiar to my Labview programs.

Has anyone else noticed this?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,631 Views)
Hey pauldavey!

I hadn't used the Convert Build Script much at all, so I checked it out and it does seem to have some problems completely recreating the installer.  As you mentioned there were a lot of improvements for this and it just works a little differently for LabVIEW 8 so things like adding the shortcut to the Start menu doesn't convert well.  In any case I have noticed it and I agree it would be nice not to have to do this manual conversion.  I have gotten used to the LabVIEW 8 Application Builder and would almost rather create the Specification myself, but that's a preference.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Andy F.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,625 Views)
Hi Andy,

I have also face a similar problem, when I tried to use the "Convert build Script" Utility in LV 8, while converting a build script, originally built using LV 5.1 .I too am not being able to add shortcuts, to the new installer.

Addtionally, I am facing the problem of my installer build being unsuccessful. I have created the exe successfully, and have tried building the installer, with the LV 8, and with no extra components. But i get the same error. Could you please identify the problem?\

Thanks a lot in advance,
dasi
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,506 Views)
Dasi, take at this KB regarding the error:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/14C0A3F7CD324E48862572E20080A487?OpenDocument

It may not be limited to just 7.x to 8.x. 

Sometimes the upgraded build script has no default installation directory specified in the Source Files section and does not allow for updates to that field, resulting in the error above. This can be resolved by creating a new installer build script in LabVIEW 8.x with identical settings to the one that is returning an error.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,477 Views)