LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV7.0 to LV8.0

All,
I am having a problem with Globals variables.
I have converted our code from LV 6.1 to LV 8.0. In one instance a VI writes some globals which are available for use in other independent VIs. After converting these global values are not reliably available when running the separate VIs. I see LV8.0 uses shared variables and have found info talking about usage and differences but nothing stating traditional globals must be converted to shared variables in LV 8.0.

Is conversion to shared variables the answer or am I missing something else?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,605 Views)

Thanks

Hopefully this will work.

All,
I am having a problem with Globals variables.
I have converted our code from LV 6.1 to LV 8.0. In one instance a VI writes some globals which are available for use in other independent VIs. After converting these global values are not reliably available when running the separate VIs. I see LV8.0 uses shared variables and have found info talking about usage and differences but nothing stating traditional globals must be converted to shared variables in LV 8.0.

Is conversion to shared variables the answer or am I missing something else?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,602 Views)

Hello,

I don’t know if the problem was resolved, or if the last post was just to bump the post back to the top of the thread listings, but I suspect that the problem may need some additional clarification.  The use of global variables is certainly supported in LabVIEW 8, and I am aware of no issues involved with using your LabVIEW 7 code in LabVIEW 8 (provided that the installation was normal, and that you mass compiled everything).  See the link here about using shared variables in LabVIEW, and here for use of regular global variables in LabVIEW 8.

That being said, I suspect that something else is going on with your program.  Could you elaborate a little further on the exact problem you are experiencing?  Are there errors?  Was the installation of LabVIEW 8 smooth, and have you mass compiled?  Is there a small example of a program which could demonstrate the behavior that you could attach?

Hope we can help!

Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,563 Views)

I worked on this a bit more and realize the original question is pretty poor(crappy). I hope this is a bit more clear.

I have found a behaviour in LV8 that is different from previous
versions.

We have a program that runs from the tools dropdown menu of any open VI.
For it to be available on the menu it must reside in C:\Program Files\National
Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\project. The VI writes to global variables.
When you open the globals from the pallet on a blank VI or
by double clicking it, the globals are blank. Their values do not update
from the VI run from the tools menu. You can navigate to the VI write
global VI and open it. There will now be another instance of the VI and it
will update the global value normally. It appears that there is another
application instance of LV8 opened when a VI opens and runs from the tools menu
and that globals are not shared between it and VIs opened another way
(different application instance of LabVIEW).

I have included a write global.vi to place in
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\project

Put Global 1.vi in

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\user.lib

Is this a Bug or a new feature?

Thanks

Dick

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,530 Views)
OOps

Here are VIs to go with the last post.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,528 Views)
Ahhhh...... Thanks for the clarification on that.  It turns out that this is a known issue.... See this other post for some additional information and possibly a workaround.  Hopefully this sheds a little light on the problem!

Thanks for posting, and let us know if you have any additional questions!
Travis M
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,500 Views)