From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV2011 udp multicast open error 54

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys,

I'm working on conversion from LV8.6 to 2011 for one of my projects. One thing I found was that the UDP broadcast module no longer worked. After digging into the vi i found that the "UDP Multicast Read-Write Open.vi" did not work the way as in 8.6.

I used a net address string input of "172.16.1.234" (my secondary network card), after string-to-ip conversion it gave 2886730218. then the UDP vi gave an error 54 in LV2011. (in 8.6 this does not happen)

I even tried using 127.0.0.1 or with ONLY my primary network card enabled (172.22.1.100), it always gives error 54.

The only input to make it pass i found was 0.

I have attached a ss of my test vi. Thanks for your inputs.

Capture.GIF

-------------------------------------------------------------
LabVIEW 2011 newbie >.<

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,429 Views)

Hi syang,

LabVIEW 2011 has a UDP multicast S/R example included with it.  I have attached it to my post. Let me know if this helps!

Regards,

Mike Altmann
Product R&D
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,409 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author syang

Thanks for the reply. I have also checked that example. Please note that in the example it doesn't have an input for the net address, which i assume labview 2011 will use 0.

I have also just received a reply from NI and confirmed it's a known bug in 2011. i will post it below.

I hope this finds you doing well. I am glad to hear that you are starting to upgrade to 2011 and I apologize for the issues you are seeing. I suspect you are using this on one of our Real-Time targets if so the good news is that this behavior has been documented in the form of a CAR (actually a

few): Broadcasts and the UDP Open VI have an INCONSISTANT behavior depending on the OS. Pharlap/Windows receive broadcasts when the "net address" terminal is wired while vxWorks/Linux don't. These CARs are scheduled as major incoviencience and will be fixed in a future version of LabVIEW as of now the work around is to simple not wire the net address field.

The CAR numbers incase you would like to see when they are fixed are:

257627, 233344,235444, 283205

-------------------------------------------------------------
LabVIEW 2011 newbie >.<

Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 3 of 9
(5,403 Views)

I've just encountered this problem on depoyed executable on a windows PC.

It worked fine in LV2011, now doesn't work with LV2011 SP1.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,269 Views)

Could you please provide more details? Other than moving from LV2011 to LV2011SP1, has anything else about your setup changed?

Also any details you can give about exactly how your code is structured will help.

Regards,

Brice Sorrells

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,246 Views)

Attached is the code

Compliled as an EXE in 2010 it works, compiled in 2011 SP1 it doesnt (I no longer have 2011 w/o SP installed to prove the point, but take me work it did).

I have this open as a support request, but wanted to add to this thread that I've seen the same thing.

Code.pngError.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,224 Views)

LabVIEW says that if you don't wire to the netwaddress terminal that it uses the default adapater. I tried setting this in windows in the "network --> advanced --> advanced settings". This didn't make any difference.

I then found that by changing the metric to a manually lower number I could force the network adapater to be used.

Hopefully this will help anyone until NI are able to fix whatever they broke when they released 2011 SP1.

metricsetting.png

routeprint.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,216 Views)

I hate to dig up an old thread, but have CARs 257627, 233344,235444, 283205 been resolved?  It's LabView 2014 now and the help file for UDP Open still shows the limitation of "If you wire this terminal, you cannot receive broadcasts".  3 years and this should have been fixed!  I very much would like to limit broadcast transmission AND reception to a specific interface on any platform.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,720 Views)

Unfortunately there is no current solution to VxWorks or an expected timeline for when it is going to be fixed.

Scott B.
AE NI
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,674 Views)