cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV Real-Time hardware Ethernet com best practice

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I just started to learn LV Real-Time, and until I get a new cRIO I just play with an older cFP-2220.

Everything is working, I am reading through the nice tutorals regarding to RT, and deploying/running example applications to this target.

However, I do not know what is the best practice handling IP address of such device. For easy setup, after a device reset (and installing the new RT runtimes,etc) I just set the HW to get dynamic IP from my router (DHCP). My laptop is connecting to the same router via wifi.

However, since after some reboots the target gets a new IP address (192.168.0.102, previous IP was ....104), I have to manually change the IP address in my project. Is there any way that LV auto detects the target in my project? Also, it looks like MAX keeps the old info, and creates a new line for the same target...so I guess if this continues, MAX will fill-up? 🙂 See screenshots below.

As a workaround, I will try to use static IP for the target, so it should always use the same IP address.

What is the common procedure to avoid such problems? Just using static IP? Or I am also missing something else here?

Thanks!

cfp_1.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,645 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

I just always use Static IP Addresses.  It just avoids all kinds of issues, especially if you have multiple systems on the same network.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 4
(2,634 Views)

Hmm, thanks. Just to make it easier: is it also OK if I reserve the IP address for the target from the router side? I mean, I leave the DHCP settings in the target, and reserve a fix IP address in my router's DHCP menu (using the MAC address of the RT device).

edit: anyway, this question is not really relevant, I just use the static IP setting for the target itself...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,631 Views)

I guess you could.  But it is a lot easier to just set the RT to a fixed IP.

Oh, I should also mention a VI that you might want to play around with.  In the Real-Time->RT Utilities->System Configuration palette is a VI called Find Systems.vi.  You could also use him to get a list of systems and their IP addresses if you really wanted to keep the address dynamic.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(2,622 Views)