From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV PDA 8.2 RANT!!!

START RANT

On Aug 31, 2006 I was approved for the LV PDA beta program.  I was finally accepted for the program even though I applied on numerous occassions during the year; I just happened to apply on or about Aug 28 on a whim.  I was approved and decided to work my ass off for the next 2 weeks to ensure NI would release a stable product.   Other diligent PDA users and myself have uncovered numerous bugs for LV PDA since version 7 and have posted on this forum.  I did find bugs using the PDA beta but was left in the dark because the status of my bugs were left unprocessed.  Then my profile for the PDA beta program all of the sudden got terminated.  I could not log on and check the status of my filed bugs.  I believe this was a result of the PDA beta program ending.  Thus, I proceeded to email the PDA program coordinator on SEP 18, 2006 9:05:22 am PST the following below:

Hello:

I am concerned at the moment that 10 to 12 bugs submitted by me have not been addressed.  Bugs were submitted from 9-6-06 to 9-12-06.  I checked the status of the bugs daily at ni.com/beta and the bugs have yet to be processed.

If these bugs are not processed, the LabVIEW PDA will be EXTREMELY unstable. Please check my bug list because as of 9/18/06, ni.com/beta DOES NOT have me as a beta associate anymore!!!????

Thanks
Robert

At the moment, I am compiling my app and it seems these bugs have not been corrected.  As a matter of fact, there are one (and most likely more) to be found.  Here is a new one, that did not exist with the PDA beta:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=209946&query.id=195699#M209946

At this point I will have to start of bunch of bug threads and HOPEFULLY NI will be responsive this time!  Who cares about a deadline when stability/robustness should be JOB1 with software development tools.

END RANT.

Have a nice day

Robert

Message 1 of 5
(5,826 Views)
Robert:

Thank you very much for contacting National Instruments. I spoke with our PDA Product Support Engineer who is also heading up the PDA Beta Program, and he ensured me that you were not taken off the PDA beta program . The beta program has ended since a new product was released, which is the reason why there is no more tests to be conducted.

Although the beta program has ended,we do greatly appreciate your continuous feedbacks on our products as it is through such feedbacks that we can make our modules better. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Rudi N.
Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,764 Views)

Hi Robert,

Please make sure you post all of the bugs you can ID in the public forums and make sure they get linked into the current Bug List.

I can not speak of bug from the Beta testing, ...

But I have been assured that EVERY bug posted to the Bug List will be investigated and if reproducable, a CAR # will be assigned.

I am limited in what else I can say short of "Once they are the list, the LABVIEW Champions can advise on the severity, and track the progress."

Again, I can not address the Beta bugs.

Once they are released, a new set of rules apply.

BTW: You have license to be pissed! If you don'y mind, I will be a little pissed on your behalf.

Trying to make LV better one bug at a time,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,746 Views)
Robert,

I am the Beta Coordinator and Product Support Engineer for LabVIEW PDA. I accepted your registration to be a beta user, despite how close the product was to releasing when you registered. The LabVIEW PDA Module 8.2 released on September 7th, and that just so happened to be the date of your first bug report. About a week after the product released, I closed the beta site for LabVIEW PDA. When LabVIEW PDA enters beta again, I will reopen it. Rest assured, you were not removed from the beta.

Even with the beta closed, I can still see your bug reports (6 on 9/7/06, 3 on 9/8/06, and 3 on 9/11/06) and I will attempt to reproduce them in the released product. Many bug fixes and improvements were made to both LabVIEW and the LabVIEW PDA Module between the beta and the release, so I doubt many of these issues will persist. You can also try this out yourself in the released product.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and desire to help us make our products better, and I encourage you to continue to be involved in the LabVIEW PDA beta when it starts up again.

--
Michael P
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(5,703 Views)

Thanks Michael:

I have/will report bugs in PDA v8.2 and beyond.  I really want handheld and phone development tools to succeed.  These platforms in my opinion will be an emerging growth market for NI.

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,557 Views)