From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV NXG 5.0 (CE): No subdiagram labels? Can't edit the label?

I am going to be diplomatic and say that I don't know how to create a subdiagram label.  I've tried right-clicking on the border, looking at the properties... can't find it.  Do I have to do a loose label (annotation)?  How... inconvenient, and a step backwards.

Also, it's regrettable that the label is no longer editable.  For a case structure (in LV Classic), I used to edit the label to give an overview about what's inside the case structure - e.g., "If the result was..."  (And I would move the label to the top of the case structure.)  Then you would select a case, and the subdiagram would explain what happens when that result was achieved.  The selector, itself, would be the result, of course.

Example:

• Case selector label: "If the result was..."
  • The "True" case was selected.
  • :Subdiagram label for True: "...then TEST RESULT equals PASS.  Enqueue the PASS state."

So, in essence, the NXG design choices have destroyed my detailed documentation workflow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,036 Views)

NXG has destroyed pretty much the entire development workflow.

Suggestions? Stick with Current Gen. and check back in a few years time.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,902 Views)

I don't actually like subdiagram labels, but I do change the label on structures. And I love free labels that can point to things, even into structures.  They don't exist in NXG either.  But hey, they added a little turned up corner on the NXG labels, to make them easier to peal off I guess.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,887 Views)

@Neil.Pate wrote:

NXG has destroyed pretty much the entire development workflow.

Suggestions? Stick with Current Gen. and check back in a few years time.

I would modify the advice to say, "Stick with the current generation", but now's the time to get used to the new workflow.  (Once you get used to it and anticipate how to do stuff, it gets a lot easier.)  Use it at home for your home projects, then help make NXG better by giving feedback.

I agree it is not ready for prime time, but the only way to get it ready is to shape it now.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,885 Views)

That's annoying - I am just looking at NXG 5.0 now - I found by turning sub diagram labels on by default in LabVIEW I got a good amount of code documentation. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,835 Views)