From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV Compare error with Tortoise Git

Hallo,

I have just started using version control with Tortoise Git. I changed the Git settings to use LV compare and merge for diff and merge of tortoise git and made a change to a VI after a commit to see the difference. I incur a problem with launching LV compareLV compare error.JPG

I added .vi extension to advanced diff settings with external program as "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\LVCompare.exe" %mine %base -nobdcosm -nobdpos

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,779 Views)

Did you check to verify that LVcompare works outside of TortoiseGit?  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,767 Views)

It may not be the problem you are encountering, but LVCompare will run in the last context which was active in LabVIEW (which is a real PITA).

Could it be that you were working on a RT target before launching a compare?  This behaviour of LVCompare and LVMerge is extremely annoying because there's no reason whatsoever to run either of these on any target other than "My Conputer".  If this helps, please give Kudos HERE.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,734 Views)

I tried it with command prompt and the same error recurs

Launching LVCompare.vi  from C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Compare\supportVIs\_prolvcmp.llb

gives the following error

An error occurred while running LVCompare.

NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Load.vi<ERR>
C:\Users\Z003W3YA\AppData\Local\Temp\LVCompare.ini

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,713 Views)

I am not working with Real Time at the moment

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,711 Views)

Why are you running the VI, there's an EXE isn't there? Under "National Instruments/Shared"....

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,708 Views)

I am trying everything to understand the problem. The exe causes error on launch and in command prompt with parameters

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,706 Views)

When you look at the error, it says it can't opent he ini file for settings.... could permissions on this folder (possibly on a network drive) be part of the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,704 Views)

The error occurs in my work computer where I use LV full development system whereas it does not occur in my personal computer where I use LV professional development system.

Could the version be the source of problem?

Message 9 of 12
(3,688 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

Did you check to verify that LVcompare works outside of TortoiseGit?  

I get that error from an MSYS2 terminal "git diff" with LabVIEW Professional Development System Version 2023 Q3 (32-bit) 23.3.1f1. C:\Users\<user.name>\AppData\Local\Temp\LVCompare.ini does not exist (I have permissions and can create the file manually). The error message can be scrolled down to see the following.

<b>Complete call chain:</b>
NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Load.vi
NI_LVConfig.lvlib:Open Config Data.vi
LVCompare.vi

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(335 Views)