From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 8.2 won't associate with VIs and uses 7.1 RTE?!?!

Hi,

I'm in the process of creating a new exe of our project. A strange thing keeps happening and I don't know what's wrong. I had LV 7.1 installed on the machine, as well as LV 8.2 to transition to the new version. I created an .lvproj and built a new .exe of our application. Lo and behold, it flashes the LV 7.1 flash screen and then asks me to select the VI I want to run, when i select the main VI of the application, it simply gives me an Error 9 message and says that that vi is compiled in version 8.2 of LV and won't open. I tried right-clicking on a vi and trying to force it to associate with 8.2, that didn't work. I uninstalled 7.1 and the 7.1 RTE entirely and when I try to run my LV 8.2 built exe it STILL manages to use the 7.1 run time from somewhere.

After that I tried to re-associate them with 8.2 yet again to no avail. When i run my exe it just tries to open them in the non-existing 7.1 RTE and re-associates them all with 7.1. Please help, i think this is a bug.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,807 Views)

A VI should never be associated to any runtime engine. Something is wrong.

Have you tried to repair the 8.20 installation or e.g. reinstall the 8.20 runtime engine?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,801 Views)
Hi Altenbach,

Well just having you respond already makes the problem seem smaller 🙂

My explanation of the problem was probably a bit off, it was late and I was getting pretty upset with this thing last night.

I didn't mean that the VIs are associated with the RTE but when I build an executable in LV8.2, I try to open it, it flashes the LV7.1 splash screen (like the one you see when you open LV7.1) and all the VI icons in the folder take the appearance of 7.1 icons and it says that the VI was compiled in LV8.2 and won't open because of that.

I've never seen anything like this myself. I did try to repair LV8.2 installation several times yesterday and I even uninstalled LV 7.1 and the 7.0 and 7.1 RTEs. Where is it getting this 7.1 splash screen??

Well I will try to remove everything NI related and do a clean reinstall of 8.2.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,793 Views)
bump
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,770 Views)

Hi romulus,

I'm a little confused by your question.  What do you mean by the following:

"all the VI icons in the folder take the appearance of 7.1 icons "

When you run an EXE, you shouldn't see any icons or folders.  Your application should start running immediately.  Are you sure that you're running the .exe file and not just double clicking on one of your VIs or an llb?  Something that you could try is while you have your LabVIEW 8.2 project open, right click on your build specification and select "Run".  This will run the exe that you just made.

Regards,
Justin D

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,753 Views)
Justin,

Thanks for the reply. I do understand how bizzare this must seem to you, I had the same reaction. I know perfectly well the behavior of LV built exe, been using it for 5 years. The problem here is the bizzare behavior of the .exe (any in fact, i've built several test vis and exes) on 3 different machines.

I'll try to explain what's happening:

1) I create a new project
2) I add my Test.vi to the project
3) I set my Test.vi as the startup vi (Test.vi simply calls my main vi via the vi reference).
4) I build the exe and execute it
5) Upon execution, an LV 7.1 splash screen pops up for a brief second and I get an Open VI file dialog box asking me to select a VI I want to open, all the VI files inside that window take on the appearance of LV7.1 icons, instead of 8.2. If I try to select a VI from that window, I get LabView load error 9: VI version (8.2) is newer than LabView version (7.1).

I'm used to that error after you recompile a 7.1 vi to 8.2, but I don't even have LV7.1 installed. It seems like the exe is trying to use LV7.1 RTE to run itself instead of 8.2. I though I have 8.2 RTE automatically installed by LV Dev, but I guess not since it doesn't show in Add/Remove Programs menu, but it DOES show up in MAX under software, go figure. I wish I could get someone in NI to look into this. I've never had a problem like this, it is happening on 3 PCs here and is taking up a lot of work time. I have source code I can send as well as a short video of what's happening on my machine.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,740 Views)
Well I figured what the problem is. Has to do with current VI path constant supplied with LV. Seems like it's changed in LV8.2. When I moved my .exe to a different location, everything worked fine. I believe LV should warn about things of this nature.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,720 Views)