From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2023 Q1 - New VI for Override does not adopt the icon of the parent method VI

Hello, 

I have recently started using LV2023 Q1. I write my programmers purely with the Actor Framework, and in this regard, I have noticed that LabVIEW no longer takes the icon from the parent methods of the VIs for Overrides from the Actor Framework. Even self-written methods that I overwrite in the child class no longer adopt the icon.
Is this a bug or a new feature?
Is there any way to change this?
Generating a new icon for an overridden VI every time is very time-consuming, especially if you only work with actors like I do and often overwrite the same VIs.

Message 1 of 14
(1,709 Views)

Hi Apriori

Seems like a bug. You can Report a Bug by following this link to help them improve this kind of problems. 

Regards) 

________

Best way to thank is to give Kudos / Mark as a solution. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(1,623 Views)

Any feedback from NI on this? I'm in the same boat. Its so annoying... 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(1,577 Views)

must be a bug... this page just created a month ago mentions the automatic icon creation and no mention of being able to turn it on or off. 

https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/labview/page/lvdialog/new_override_db.html

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(1,572 Views)

Not sure if a bug report was filed or not, so I have created one as well just in case. Report number 02144269.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(1,562 Views)

Hello, 

I contacted NI and only got a response from them last week:

we have created bug case 2350519 to resolve this issue. I have received confirmation from RnD that there is currently no suitable workaround for the version that presents this problem.

In this regard, please expect a workaround for this issue in the upcoming release of LabVIEW or the upcoming patch for the reported version.

Message 6 of 14
(1,533 Views)

thanks for update.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(1,516 Views)

Barring catastrophe, this bug should be fixed in LabVIEW 2023 Q3.

I don't have a workaround for the bug, but I do have a procedure that's been helping me fix the override VI icons quickly when the bug occurs. This procedure assumes you use mostly text-based icons on your method VIs. Let's say this is the parent icon:

1.png

Due to the bug, when I create a new override of this method in a child class, I get this:

2.png

Now here's where Quick Drop comes in. Press Ctrl-Space, type 'from action str' in Quick Drop, then press Ctrl-K:
3.png

The Ctrl-K Quick Drop shortcut will assign a text-based icon to the VI based on what you typed:

4.png

This feature was first introduced in LabVIEW 2020, and I use it all the time, but I've been using it even more all the time in LabVIEW 2023 Q1.

Message 8 of 14
(1,321 Views)

if it is not a text icon, another trick is to drop the one with the correct icon on a block diagram, highlight the VI then Ctl+C, then open the icon editor for the one that is missing its icon and ctl+V. 

In general that works. Not sure how it plays with class banners, so YMMV.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(1,291 Views)

I have a feeling you can drop an icon from one vi onto the icon of another vi and it imports it, so there might be a quick way there to recover the missing icon info. Maybe worth a look (I'm not able to test this right now).

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(1,135 Views)