LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 2018 VERRRRRY slow after Win 10 "upgrade"

Just "upgraded" my main machine to Win 10 (was Win 7) at demand of a customer, for "security" reasons.

Have to turn firewall and other security options OFF (yes, I see the irony).

LabVIEW 2018 SP1 (32) is practically unusable now. My program takes 15 seconds from mouse click to menu pop up. Right click on a VI call and it's 10 sec before the menu pops up for breakpoints, etc.

Switching between windows is fast. Menus in the project explorer work normally. If I QUIT my app, it's 30 seconds before things go away (used to be 2 sec).  I can close the project and it does NOT warn me about aborting VIs, even though those VIs are still on screen, showing as running.  LV using about 16% total CPU, but that shows as "very high".  I'm on i7-3770 at 3.4 GHz, not a slouch machine.  Mem usage is 500 MB, out of 16 GB in the machine.  I did the 3072-extension trick, in case that comes into play.

Any ideas? 

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,254 Views)

Clean Object Compiled Cache & Mass Compile Then restart LabVIEW

mcduff

Message 2 of 9
(1,245 Views)

Then you're unlucky. I've only had extremely smooth and invisible transitions when upgrading to Win 10. The biggest trouble was forcing and old driver to be used for a USB-dongle since it only had a Win 7 driver.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(1,179 Views)

Hi Steve, 

For what it's worth, I'm running LV2018 on an "upgraded" Win10 laptop with much less power than your machine.  But in my case, I did the upgrade before I installed LabVIEW.  

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(1,160 Views)

Clean Object Compiled Cache & Mass Compile Then restart LabVIEW

Did that. Deleted cache, trashed all PPLs and rebuilt everything.  No change.  Still running in sludge.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(1,141 Views)

I would reinstall LabVIEW. 

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(1,116 Views)

Do you have the f1 patch for 2018 SP1? One of my customers had run into issues running one of their main applications after upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 which was due to some additional overhead drawing many large front panels in Windows 10.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(1,101 Views)

Do you have the f1 patch for 2018 SP1?

My version reports as 18.0.1f4.  I assume the "f4" is later than the "f1" you refer to.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,081 Views)

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

My version reports as 18.0.1f4.  I assume the "f4" is later than the "f1" you refer to.

Correct

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,077 Views)