cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 2016 Functions and Controls Palette Randomly Not Displaying Icons

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I installed LV 2016 several month ago and have worked in it just fine.  Today I opened it and I no longer have any icon available in my functions or controls palette, nor does a search return any avilable functions or controls.  The files are located in the proper location on disk though.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,129 Views)

Is this evaluation software?  I'm not sure what happens when it expires, but this sounds like something that should happen.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,122 Views)

By any chance, did you install using a limited (like a Student) License, or an Evaluation version?  Sounds like LabVIEW has "timed out" on you ("several months ago" sounds like 3 months = 90 days ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,121 Views)

Although I didnt think to check that, I have an active license and it is activated. 

License Manager.PNG

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,115 Views)

Evaluation (or expired licenses) don't remove features like this, it just won't launch.  When you run LabVIEW a dialog comes up and says your license expires in X days, with a check box to say don't bother me about this on startup anymore.  Then when those days expire the Launch LabVIEW button is disabled...but now that I think about it I wonder if you could just enable that button and see it work.

Anyway this means you can't open LabVIEW or VIs after it has expired but I assume if LabVIEW is left open you don't get a nag screen, just no rebooting or quitting.

Edit: Just tested, enabling the Launch Button when it is disabled using system level calls does work, but clicking it does nothing.  I should have known NI wasn't better at protecting itself than having that work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,068 Views)

Hmm, i get what youre saying, but that isnt the problem either.  This is a standard license and i get no luanch button on bootup.  Ive evaluated software before so i know what it looks like.  Im even unable to add items to my palette.  Im thinking of doing a complete reinstall, which is a pain Smiley Mad

edit: im going to try a repair of labview first. Ive never tried this before so ill find out if it gives good results.

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,059 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolleee

I used the NI software repair and that fixed the problem.  Still dont know what caused it, but its fixed Smiley Very Happy

-Matt
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,051 Views)

Don't forget to mark YOUR answer as the solution!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,049 Views)