From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 2011 (and LV 2012) Compiler Error. Invalid size in _InstSize: 21

Solved!
Go to solution

I created a subvi in LV8.5 to handle user interface events outside a main vi. The subvi gets the control references which are registered for events, by a queue all actions are sent to a consumer case, nothing fancy. Everything works fine in LV8.5, but now I took all over to LV2011SP1 on a Windows 7 64bit and I get always the same error:

"Compiler error. Report this problem to National Instruments Tech Support. Invalid size in _InstSize 21"

that pops up 3 times. I tried to open the same code also in LV2012, same error... When trying to isolate the problem, I found out that by disabling code in the 3 biggest consumer cases I can get rid of the warning, but then I can't reduce the problem to one single element...

Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,432 Views)

@DavidZ. wrote:

I created a subvi in LV8.5 to handle user interface events outside a main vi. The subvi gets the control references which are registered for events, by a queue all actions are sent to a consumer case, nothing fancy. Everything works fine in LV8.5, but now I took all over to LV2011SP1 on a Windows 7 64bit and I get always the same error:

"Compiler error. Report this problem to National Instruments Tech Support. Invalid size in _InstSize 21"

that pops up 3 times. I tried to open the same code also in LV2012, same error... When trying to isolate the problem, I found out that by disabling code in the 3 biggest consumer cases I can get rid of the warning, but then I can't reduce the problem to one single element...

Any ideas? 

Try to inline the subvi's.

Try making them reentrant.

Mass compile.

Press ctrl-shift-arrow to force recompile of the entire vi call hierarchy.

Try separating the source from the binary.

Br,

/Roger

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,427 Views)

Thanks Rogerlsaksson for your suggestions! Finally I put the 3 problem-causing sections of code into subvis, which misteriously helped to not having this compiler error anymore. This is strange, as I would expect less compiler-issues from a higher LV-Version. But well, the main thing is it works now. Before I tried your suggestions in mass compiling, force recompiling and making reentrant which didn't help. When talking about inlining the subvis, I'm not sure wether you meant to inline the code into the vi, to get rid of some subvis or to select the option "Inline subVI into calling VIs" in the VI Properties of the subvis... 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,404 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DavidZ.

Yes, the trick to put the "problem" labview code in a subvi of it's own helped me as well.

My speculation is that it forces the compiler chosing another (without the bug) path when compiling the LV source.

I think you should file a bug report using the http://ni.com/support pages.

That way we will get better tools in the future.

Br,

/Roger

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,399 Views)

OK thanks, and I just reported the bug to NI support. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,385 Views)