LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV 2009 Icon editor

Just installed LV 2009 and had to try out the new icon editor.

Firstly, I'm very happy to see the huge increase in productivity possible with this new editor.  Great stuff guys. Including the Glyphs in the editor is a HUGE time-saver.

I have noticed, however that there is a feeling of lag when drawing on the icon picture.  It's as if the picture being displayed is about 1/4 of a second behind what I'm actually doing.  Not a major problem, but I'm curious if others see the same thing.

A possible problem is the fact that when writing text on the Icon, selecting the Name of the layer (on the panel outside of the drawing area) and typing does not shift focus away from the icon.  I need to manually select a different tool other than the text tool for the drawing editor before I can enter text anywhere in the editor.  The picture control retains focus apparently.

Aside from that, brilliant!

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,563 Views)
How long does it take for the Icon Editor to come up for you? I have found it to be quite slow. While I'm running LV2009 in a virtual machine, I also have 8.6 in a virtual machine, and the Icon Editor for 8.6 comes quite quickly.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,499 Views)
Is the new icon editor available for download independent of LabVIEW 2009?
Or do I need to upgrade my LabVIEW version before I can see what all the excitement is about? Smiley Very Happy
Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,488 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:
How long does it take for the Icon Editor to come up for you? I have found it to be quite slow. While I'm running LV2009 in a virtual machine, I also have 8.6 in a virtual machine, and the Icon Editor for 8.6 comes quite quickly.

First time to call it it takes quite a while, about 6-7 seconds on my machine but subsequent calls are much quicker.

I know the old Icon editor could be replaced (mark Balla did a great job of creating an icon editor which bears striking similarity to the new NI one in many places), maybe the new one can be copied to an older LV version, I have no idea.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,466 Views)

Intaris wrote:

smercurio_fc wrote:

First time to call it it takes quite a while, about 6-7 seconds on my machine but subsequent calls are much quicker.

That's pretty much the same thing I'm seeing. That's pretty bad, in my opinion.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,431 Views)

It could be the loading of the Glyphs....

I think it's a decent trade-off.  I'd rather have it like that than have the old editor back.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,428 Views)
You should consider it's a hierarchy of several hundred (mostly unlocked, BTW) VIs, classes, etc. Like any other, it takes time to load it for the first time, which I agree is annoying.

(3,402 Views)

It is still rather slow in LV 2012. I wonder whether the excuse that there are classes and hierarchies and what not is still holding water for many people. I personally find it slow first or any other later call...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,877 Views)

In 2011 NI changed the IE to be in a packed library, which in theory is supposed to make loading faster. If memory serves, in 2011 loading takes a couple of seconds each time. I haven't tried in 2012.

Of course, if it bothers you enough, you can go back to the old IE by renaming the relevant VI in the <LabVIEW>\Resource\Plugins folder. If LV doesn't find it, it should default to the old IE.

(2,858 Views)

I have no intention to loose the convenience of the new IE. However, as I was doing a little bit more of icon editing yesterday, it became obvious that the loading process was taking more time than what is customary for such a basic (from the user point of view) application. I don't have the most recent computer either, but still.

Couldn't this be kept in memory to avoid having to launch the editor each time it is called?

Again, if nobody provides feedback to NI, they won't look into it, so that's what I am doing with my post. I really don't have time to entertain NI phone support engineers...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,848 Views)