LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIFA How to reduce the delay to make it realtime?

I'm making a mimicking robot and I am using a robotics LIFA to control it using labview. When I am just setting its value, it is moving but delayed about 2 secs. But once I connect it to my input, it won't move. I suppose it is because of the input throws a realtime value while the robot can only process the input every 2 sec. So if my presumption is correct, how can I reduce the delay of my labview code to make the receiving of my robot's data more realtime? Please do help, I really need. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,280 Views)

What is the "input" you are talking about?

It is really impossible to help you solve your problem because you haven't provided any code, either LabVIEW or Arduino, to see how you are doing things now and to determine where your delays are coming from.

And what do you mean by "real-time"?  The term "real-time" technically refers to operating systems where instructions are guaranteed to occur within a given number of CPU cycles.  LabVIEW running on Windows does not qualify for that.  I don't know enough about Arduinos to know if their underlying operating system would qualify as real-time.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,267 Views)

I have my labview vi control panel and block diagram panel printscreensv(labview 1,2,3 and 4) with the Labview Interface for Arduino .When I send set of angles (the three angles means pitch,yaw and roll for the movement of the robot) from my python code(python 1) to labview using UDP, the robotic wrist move which means that it works . But once I send another set of angles from python a little bit late than the previous angle(maybe 0.5 seconds late), the robot will not move according to the new angle sent until some seconds (2 or 3 seconds) ..my 1st pressumption is that the delay in labview or UDP has to be improved.Hope you can help us .. 

Moreover, our thesis of Robotic Wrist mimicking use hand tracking (kinect as a sensor) which sends angles from python to labview in a some fraction of seconds,almost varying 10 times in a second .. Last time we connect it all (robotic wrist with labview code, 3d hand tracking algo with kinect ) ,the robotic didnt response any movement ..This situation support my 1st pressumption. but I also observed that some hardware problem is happening which is my 2nd pressumption ..the arduino which controls the robotic wrist do not work once the kinect is also connected to the pc ..Hope you understand and give some help and that will be appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,175 Views)

I have provided the pics of my code in labview and python. Whereas the arduino code is use is the LIFA arduino code provided for interfacing. Please do help, thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,130 Views)

I'd make use of the Probe tool in LabVIEW and a packet sniffer, such as Wireshark, to look into when your packets are sent and when those values are changing in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,109 Views)

Okay sir thanks for the help .. I used the probe tool window you have mentioned, in the Labview and it helps a lot .. I can now monitor the data transferring or travelling through these wires ..but what is the use of the packet sniffer or the Whiteshark? Sorry im a beginner in labview and in different softwares .My problem is that once i connect the arduino to the pc with the labview vi running , it reads and actuates not all the values but only some of it .. and in addition, it actuates in a constant time interval (every 1 second) .. the other values or the angles are neglected ..Hope you can help me ..Thank you for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,070 Views)

A packet sniffer, such as Wireshark, will allow you to see what information is being sent over the network (UDP packets). This can help if you are unsure if the correct data is being sent over the network. 

You can also use Highlight Execution to slow down your code, and see where the program is getting held up. Additionally, what other events are in your event structure?

Here's some information on event structures that may help you trace through your code: 
     https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Program-Drafts/Event-Structures-Basics/ta-p/3536272

You also mentioned you're newer to LabVIEW, so this link might help as well. 
      http://www.learnni.com/getting-started

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,038 Views)