LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kollmorgen AKD communication with Labview Ethernet/IP drivers

I am trying to communicate with Kollmorgen's AKD drives using Ethernet/IP protocol and Labview's Ethernet/IP drivers/vi's. I am using a PXI system running windows (no room for the EtherCAT module so that is why I am going with Ethernet/IP). I have reviewed Ethernet/IP white paper's and reviewed discussions on the drivers (particularly the post https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-10161 - Yaskawa A1000 VFD using the Labview Ethernet/IP driver). But, I cannot find one post or piece of information where anyone has setup communication with the AKD drives using Ethernet/IP communication (Kollmorgen's AKD Ethernet/IP manual - http://www.kollmorgen.com/uploadedFiles/Products/Drives/AC_Servo_Drives/AKD/AKD_Manuals/903-200008-0...). I was hoping someone out there had some tips, example code, or sources of information that would make this development project less painful. I appreciate any input, Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 59
(13,417 Views)

Any chance the Kollmorgen Enet port can default to or be set for Modbus? Ethernet/IP adds a bit of 'obfuscation' for lack of a better term.

Failing that,

I have examples using the Ethernet/IP tools to make the NI target a slave to ControlLogix. Changing this should be matter of changing blocks from get to set. As the Kollmorgen will likely only function as a slave.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 59
(13,372 Views)

Thanks! I have looked into Modbus and the AKD drives do support this communication. I have since installed the Modbus library for Labview (http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/201711) and am going thru some of the tutorials. By going with Modbus, even though more simplistic, do you think I will be limited in communication/control options with my drive as compared to Ethernet/IP? Since both options (Modbus or Ethernet/IP) are going to be a learning curve for me, I would like to go with the best solution. Thanks for your time,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 59
(13,361 Views)

Both Modbus and EtherNet/IP would be similar in capabilities and likely performance in this situation. For EIP you would use the explicit messaging VIs to send Get/Set messages to the objects described in those drive's manual. The I/O ones will not work because like the drive units, they can only be a slave to a controller.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 59
(13,340 Views)

In my opinion, unless you require determinism on the fieldbus, Modbus will not limit you vs. Ethernet/IP.

I also have VIs that talk Modbus (client/master) to an inverter (server/slave) although my inverter is not Kollmorgen.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 59
(13,324 Views)

Sorry, but you will need to use Modbus to talk to the Kollmorgen.  The Ethernet/IP drivers in LabVIEW are Explicit messaging only, and the Kollmorgen need Implicit messaging.  The difference is Implicit is time critical used for machine control, and Explicit is more for data collection.

The biggest thing that will help you in writing your program is to use Kollmorgen's dynamic mapping.  This will let you map the different registers that you need in one memory location.  Therefor you can read and write a big group at a time and not individual registers.

Attached is a document from my Kollmorgen rep that I referenced when using a Kollmorgen.

Message 6 of 59
(13,320 Views)

Nonecure,

That PPT is perfect, thanks for sharing and for the input. It looks like modbus it is... 

S1ack,

Any chance of sharing your sample modbus vi's that you referenced above? 

Thanks again all!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 59
(13,285 Views)

Just to clarify, the manual posted in the original post did outline the EIP capabilities of those drives (assuming it was the same model) and it did describe that it had explicit messaging capabilities. You could either send explicit messages to read/write the objects they describe in the manual or to the Assembly objects to read and write manually the same assemblies that are used for impicit I/O. Now, as to the advantages/disadvantages of this vs ModBus, it is a toss-up that is likely more influenced by the quality-of-implementation/ease-of-use of the drive via each interface. From a technology standpoint, Modbus TCP and Explicit message communication via EIP both use connected TCP sockets and have similar performance profiles. The one advantage I can think of for EIP would be that the messaging layer is separate from the TCP layer such that you can have multiple requests issued simultaneously and overlapped that can be completed in any order. This might make certain operations faster if you can run them in parallel on the LV diagram.

Eric

Message 8 of 59
(13,282 Views)

Eric is right, that EIP is the better route to take if the device will communicate with it versus Modbus.  It was a year since I did a project with the AKD drive, but I remember EIP was not an option.  I think you can read/write parameters with EIP, but not control the drive.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 59
(13,259 Views)

Here is some screen shots of my code:

This will open the port to the AKD

open.png

This is the read command.

read.png

This is the write command

write.png

Message 10 of 59
(13,256 Views)