cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Know the SubVI caller

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have a programme that is run with both "Labview " and "Teststand" . in this programme i have a SubVI in which i want to Know when it's called and what ils the VI caller . i do not want to open all the programme is it possible to Know that from the SubVI ? 

Thank you .

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,324 Views)

Use the "Call Chain" VI. You can find it in the Application Control palette.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,312 Views)

Hi , thank you

How to used properly ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,309 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Emna20

Did you try using it? It returns an array of the VIs in the call chain.

From the help:

Requires: Base Development System

Returns the chain of callers from the current VI to the top-level VI. Element 0 of the call chain array contains the name of the lowest VI in the call chain. Subsequent elements are callers of the lower VIs in the call chain. The last element of the call chain array is the name of the top-level VI.

If you are using the current VI as a subVI, you can use this function to identify all the VIs that call the subVI.

If a LabVIEW project library owns a VI in the call chain, the function returns the qualified name of the VI, which includes the project library filename.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,305 Views)

Do you know how to use LabVIEW Help to get "help" for any LabVIEW Function?  Do you know the "right-click-on-the-function-and-choose-Help" trick?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,250 Views)

Hi,

When i use call chain it return only the name of the current SubVI . "the name of the SubVI in which i want to Know the callers "

i need explination for that ? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,237 Views)

When you only run the VI, the call chain will be empty except for the VI. You have to call your VI from another VI.

Do you want to know the callers at edit time and not at run time? You can find the callers by right-clicking on the VI and selecting Find->Callers. This will only list callers in the current project. The VI itself stores no information by which VI it is called.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,228 Views)