LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knob Control with hex values for the scale

Hello,

I have a knob control that has a unsigned byte for the data representation, the scale  and data range are both set to 16 (base 10) to 31 base (10). I would like the scane and the digital display to be a 2 char hex value. I can get the digital display to display as hex, but I cannot get the scale to be in hex, it only wants to be in floating point or base 10 numbers.
  I want the scale display to be in hex, so I would see the value 10 to 1F on the scale, which are the numbers around the know. Anu ideas what is going on?

Regards,

Kaspar
Regards,

Kaspar
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,065 Views)
I tried to do it in properties, and had some trouble myself. In the block diagram create a property node for the knob, select scale > format and precision > format. Write a value of 5 to it and it should give you hex values on the scale.
PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 2 of 14
(5,052 Views)
I think if worst comes to worst, LabVIEW allow you to specify by hand
the label on each knob (or other front panel control tick. I think
one may do this by double clicking on the label next to eack mark. I
one started with a decimal labelling this would require six edits. If
what is desired is, say, two digit hexadecimal labelling (00, 01 ...
FE, FF) this method would be a pain.

On Jul 9, 1:10 pm, Kaspar <x...@no.email> wrote:
>Hello,
>I have a knob control that has a unsigned byte for the data representation, the scale and data range are both set to 16 (base 10) to 31 base (10). I would like the scane and the digital display to be a 2 char hex value. I can get the digital display to display as hex, but I cannot get the scale to be in hex, it only wants to be in floating point or base 10 numbers.
>I want the scale display to be in hex, so I would see the value 10 to 1F on the scale, which are the numbers around the know. Anu ideas what is going on?

>Regards, Kaspar

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,042 Views)
I had absolutely no problems setting the scale to hex format using LabVIEW 8.0. What is your version?

(My knob is U8).

Message Edited by altenbach on 07-09-2007 10:48 AM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,033 Views)
I tried it in 8.2 and it doesn't work. When you press OK it resets it to floating point. Using a property node, as PaulG said, works.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,026 Views)
I'm running 8.2 as well. What a quirky little bug.
PaulG.

Message 6 of 14
(5,015 Views)
It also works in 7.1, but I get the same problem in 8.2.  I've not installed the latest update, though.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,012 Views)

Hello,

I created the property node and set it to a 5, the scale values around the knob come out in hex! thank you!

Regards,

Kaspar
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,006 Views)
Looks like a bug. In 8.2.

I was able to get a knob to show Hex but it was strange, and I can't get it back to floating point. It will do SI Notation or Scientific, but it won't keep the changes for Floating Point or Hex. I finally got it to show Hex by first changing the properties of the digital display, but again, I can't change it back. Anybody else see the same issue?

B-)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,004 Views)
This just in ... still looking at this but it looks like selecting hex scale from the front panel does not work on ANY of the graphical number controls, i.e. knob, dial, thermometer, gauge, slide.
PaulG.

Message 10 of 14
(4,997 Views)