From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinect in labView

Hi

I am having trouble connecting the Microsoft Kinect V2 in labVIEW.

I am working in windows 10 and I'm using labVIEW 2015.

I have downloaded the required drivers and my Kinect works on my computer with the SDK V2.0.

But when I open labVIEW, try to find drivers and add-ons, connect to instruments, I see the Kinect instrument drivers, but my instrument folder is empty.

When I try and scan for instruments, no instruments are found.

I tried to perform a specific search for the instrument but there is no right manufacturer name in the list.

What should I do now?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,843 Views)

You need to download and install another set of drivers, specifically for LabVIEW. There are two sets that are available:

- Haro3D library: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-40832

or

- MakerHub library:  http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/213126

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,799 Views)

It worked! I used the first link and it Kinected into labVIEW!

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,760 Views)

Thank you for the help! Everything is working perfect!

I just have one question.

When a person enters in the screen of the Kinect, I get assigned a what apears to be random person number.

I was wondering, what effects this number?

I don't think the number will actually be random.

Is the the position where the person is standing? Or how is this chosen?

Is there any place where I can find an answer for this question?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,699 Views)

The Kinect assigns an ID number to each body. The exact logic how the ID number is assigned escapes me, if there is any (maybe just the order of appearance of the bodies).

The ID number will change if a person steps in and out of the Kinect view. Also, the ID numbers migth get swaped if 2 bodies pass in front of each other.

In any case, you can get more information about ID numbers (and about the Kinect in general) from those links:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/619478f9-d3bf-4942-ab67-020b631837c6/assign-a-specifi...

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/585e0a75-ac13-4087-9357-a9d5d0df0dde/is-there-a-way-t...

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,691 Views)

Thank you so much! again!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,669 Views)

Hello again Marc!

Thanks to your advice i've come extremely far and made so much program.

Im actually to the point where im almost done, but i just have a little problem.

When i run my labview program my used memory keeps going up, until the moment where it crashes with the error: out of memory.

I went back to the basic program with the examples and found out that it does the same thing with the examples.

But because my program got so big and i use so much data, it crashes way faster.

Anyways, i was wondering if you had a fix for my problem, if i maybe could clean the array up so i wont stack data but just replace it instead.

Thanks

-Jeroen

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,403 Views)

Hi,

I don't know which library you are using: the MakerHub one or Haro3D? If you use Haro3D, there was a small memory leak in the body API in version 1.0.0. The leak was small and nobody ever reported a problem but it was fixed in version 1.2.0 (documented in version History of manuals version > 1.2.0). I suppose that at some point the memory leak would create actual problem. The solution would be to upgrade to version 1.2.0.

If you are using the MakerHub library, you can ask directly on the MakerHub forum.

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,392 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am using Haro3D

I'll look into updating it, thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,385 Views)