LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyence LK-G series communications over Labview

This is true.  I do have a rs232 driver I've made and I was hoping to convert it over to USB. But the device doesn't have a USB model code or manufacturer ID so you can't use this method, http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4478, to convert the rs232 driver.  I do need the USB speed for doing fast material scanning.  We like the Keyence performance but it’s basically useless to us.  We are looking into other products.

THanks for the info.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 36
(5,459 Views)

Could you scan it with the Keyence software and save it to a file. Then use labview to read the data file after the fact?

How does the LK-G show up in device manager when plugged into a usb port?? Does it show up as a comm port?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 36
(5,457 Views)

If you absolutely have to get to the usb packets and reverse engineer the protocol, it can be done with some external hardware.

http://www.totalphase.com/products/beagle_usb12/

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 36
(5,452 Views)

Yeah that is probably a limitation for your app, it's a shame as it's a pretty good device other than the high-speed comms.  I'll throw a couple of options out there you may have already considered: 

1 - use the 'data storage' commands from serial - there are four commands to initialize/start/stop/and then transmit high speed data.   Won't work for you if you have to stream live data continuously, but it will let you do bursts of high-speed acquisition to cover a specific event. 

2 - use the analog outputs from the Keyence device, bring them in through an NI DAQ unit.  That could be as simple as a USB DAQ module - I think the USB-6009 gives up to 10ks/sec.     We end up using a lot of analog inputs/outputs in my lab to transfer signals and data - even in the 201n's (non digital? really? :-D) this is still frrequently the simplest solution. 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 36
(5,451 Views)

The issue is I have to sync other measurements.  Storing the thickness data to a file then syncing post proccess isn't really a good option. I have to show the information in real time. 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 36
(5,446 Views)

Your best bet is to synch the analog output to whatever device is measuring your length. Even over USB, most system architectures have a hard time receiving the amount of data that a Keyence system provides simply because of the processing rate at both ends. The analog will give you a much better latency than any other method, especially with their latest generation system that has a max sample rate of ~400 kHz.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 36
(5,434 Views)

Would you mind sharing your Serial Software? This would save me time if you wouldn't mind.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 36
(5,027 Views)

If you would post your main software that would be super....

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 36
(5,026 Views)

Hi friends,

I tested the communication loop from laytop => usb/rs232 convertor => rs232 connector to LK-GD500. It seems to be not successfully connected because i can't send the comment from LabVIEW and hence the setting not change accordingly! Could someone help to share some useful comments in the test? I will appreciate if you can provide any suggestions. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 36
(4,899 Views)

Hi,

Can you please post your LabVIEW code or a screenshot of it? Are you getting any errors? If so, can you post their code and description?

Tarek B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 36
(4,882 Views)