LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keithley 2400 voltage Issue

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I am using Labview 2010 to try to control a Keithley 2400 Sourcemeter by GPIB.  I am using the labview drivers from the Keithley 24XX drivers package which I downloaded from the "Find Instrument Drivers" in Labview.  

I am trying to use the device as a current source to power an electromagnet.  I have the device set up and it will output current, but no matter how high I adjust the compliance value, the voltage output of the sourcemeter will not exceed 2 volts.  

I'm pretty sure this is not a device limitation because when I adjust the compliance and current manually the device has no trouble.  For some reason when I control the device with labview it just won't go over 2 volts. Any help would be great.

I have included my program here.  If anyone needs screenshots to diagnose this issue, let me know.   

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,652 Views)

Is your voltage reading set to autorange? If not, then you're probably reaching range-compliance. Throw in a Keithley "Configure Measurement.vi" in after the reset, and make sure autorange is True.

Range compliance is when the little mA (or uA, A, mV, V, etc) in the lower right of the front panel display is blinking. Standard compliance is when the "Compl" is blinking.

Message 2 of 5
(8,645 Views)

Yep, the "Compl" light is blinking, so it is the range compliance.  The range compliance is set at 2.1V.  I added the "Configure Measurement" vi and set the vi to Auto, but this didn't change the range compliance. 

Also, I set the Auto to false and tried adjusting the "Manual Range."  When I get above 2.1 V, I get a message that says :

Instrument reports:
824,"Cannot exceed compliance range"

I have included the latest VI here

Is there a VI that changes the compliance range, or a VI that sets it to auto?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,612 Views)

Oops, I meant the Units are blinking.  It is range compliance, not standard compliance.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,605 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author daladethman

I think I got it.  I made a little modification to the "Configure Over Voltage Protection."   I changed the String in the GPIB command from "%.;SOUR:VOLT:PROT %g" to "%.;SENS:VOLT:PROT %g" which changes the range compliance.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,598 Views)