LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping dependencies in existing their directory during .exe build.

Hi All,

I've had a look around and found threads on several similar issues but I can't seem to find a solution to my problem. I have a packed library and some .dlls that are used by several different applications that I've built. In the project these dependencies are stored in C:\Company\Packed Library 2017 and this is where I've been loading them from whilst building the main VI for each application. 

When I compile the main VI, the .dlls and packed library are added to the support directory 'Data' folder in the application's parent directory. This means that I have a different copy of the packed library for every application I build. I'd prefer to keep the dependencies in C:\Company\Packed Library 2017 so that if I ever have to update the packed library, I only have to update the copy in that location.

I've tried specifying C:\Company\NFC Packed Library 2017 as the 'Support Directory' in the build properties but the build then fails because the files are already in that folder. Is there any way I can have a common support directory for all of my applications?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,367 Views)

I may be wrong (and am sure someone more knowledgable will correct me), but I think the idea is that when you make an Executable, all of the files that you need (with the exception of LabVIEW's Run Time Engine) are "packaged together" so that you can easily move the Build to another PC, needing only to have the RTE installed.

Note that if you were to replace a .DLL, you should probably rebuilt any Executable that relies on it, as its functionality may (and, indeed, should) have changed, and a rebuild is warranted.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,343 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply. I agree that it is probably a good idea to rebuild my application if one of the .dlls changes. Luckily this doesn't happen too often.

The packed library is updated quite often however, so it would be good if there was some way to get all of the applications referencing the same location. This would be a more modular solution.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,340 Views)

Hi Dan,

I understand that this isn't a direct solution to the problem that you are currently facing. However I think this support document on the National Instruments website will point you to the right direction. The document is linked here.

The document basically goes over the best practices for managing NI LabVIEW applications through the project window. Have a look through it and I'm sure it will be of some assistance. 

Best regards,

Geo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,298 Views)

Hi Geo,

Thanks for your reply, I'll check out the document.

I think I'll have to accept that the packed library will need to be included in the same folder as the application.

Kind Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,293 Views)