LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just installed LV2019 - Create SubVI doesn't work & QuickDrop doesn't work

Hello,

today I installed LV 2019 and seamlessly I was able to continue my work. I was pleased to notice that the tresponsiveness has increased, it is nicer to work with it.

1. But now I found out that an essential feature doesn' work: When I select a part of my block diagram and choose 'Edit / Create SubVI' some wires are flashing with selection borders, but that's it. What happened there.
  2. I like the Quick Drop window to auto-create terminals or constants for SubVIs via Keystroke Ctrl+D or Shift+Ctrl+D. This doesn't work either. In the QD window the letter D is shown and it lists all nodes and VIs with a D. Funny, but not expected.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(2,996 Views)

I just tried both of these things (I hadn't done a lot with 2019 yet, mostly opening and testing existing code), and both worked for me.  Don't know if this matters, but this installation was "on top of" LabVIEW 2016, 2017, and 2018 (everything 32-bit).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,970 Views)

My LV 2019 is good (as are many others), so it's something specific to your machine. Here are the things I've seen break scripting-based tools before:

1. Having other add-ons installed that inadvertently break stuff. Did you install any other tools with LV 2019?

2. Bogus INI tokens...rename LabVIEW.ini to LabVIEW.bak and see if that fixes it.

3. Corrupted VI Server. I've seen all my property/invoke nodes get corrupted such that they return the wrong data types (like the 'Visible' property all of a sudden is a string instead of a Boolean). The only way I've been able to repair this in the past is to uninstall/reinstall LabVIEW.

4. Something unknown breaking some scripting VIs. Can you mass compile the following folders and see if anything in there is broken:
LabVIEW 20xx\resource\plugins\CreateSubVI

LabVIEW 20xx\resource\dialog\QuickDrop

And if anything is broken, post screenshots of the (hopefully not password-protected) broken diagrams so we can diagnose further.

Keep me posted.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,928 Views)

Hi Darren,

thanks for your reply.

Following are the steps I proceeded yesterday after installing LV2019.

1. I copied my LabVIEW.ini from LV2018 into the 2019- folder
  2. I started VIPM (since VIPM isn't a standalone- program anymore, I had to start it from LV2018, then exited LV, then proceeded with VIPM), selected all installed addons in 2018, installed them in 2019

Beside the fact, that VIPM started LV2019 while installing the packages I started LV2019 the first time after these steps. And I felt home from the first moment, all settings were tranferred seamlessly.

What I did today:

1. I renamed the original ini- file back, so I have the default settings back
  2. I did a mass compile of both directories, with no problems in the CreateSubVI- directory, but QuickDrop gave the following results:

#### Starting Mass Compile: Mi, 29. Mai 2019 10:19:39
Directory: "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2019\resource\dialog\QuickDrop"
### Bad VI: "Data Readers and Writers__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi" Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2019\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins\_JKI State Machine Helper.llb\Data Readers and Writers__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "Script - copy frame.vi" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\Script - copy frame.vi" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "Get All Event Strings.vi" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\EventOCR.llb\Get All Event Strings.vi" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "StructureTypes.ctl" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\StructureTypes.ctl" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "Get JKI CaseStructure Ref.vi" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\Get JKI CaseStructure Ref.vi" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "JKI Arguments Used.vi" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\JKI Arguments Used.vi" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "remove consecutive duplicates.vi" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\remove consecutive duplicates.vi" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "PromptUserWithDefault.vi" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\PromptUserWithDefault.vi" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "About.vi" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\About.vi" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "SortAlphabetically.vi" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\SortAlphabetically.vi" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "ShowHideScrollBar.vi" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\ShowHideScrollBar.vi" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
Search failed to find "CaseSelect.vi" previously from "Y:\JKI\GitHub\JKI-State-Machine-Editor\source\.source\QuickDrop Plugin\_JKI State Machine Helper\CaseSelect.vi" +=+ Caller: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
### Bad VI: "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi" Path="C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2019\resource\dialog\QuickDrop\plugins\_JKI State Machine Helper.llb\Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi"
#### Finished Mass Compile: Mi, 29. Mai 2019 10:20:54

And a screenshot of "Data Readers and Writers__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi":

LabVIEW2019 - Bad VI - Data Readers and Writers__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi.png

The other VI "Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi" looks like this:

LabVIEW2019 - Bad VI - Tree__JKI_State_Machine_Helper.vi.png

So this doesn't seem to cause my problems...

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,896 Views)

Now I removed via VIPM all installed addons, but no change...

Now I will remove LV2019 and reinstall it, then I will see...

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,892 Views)

Reinstalled LabVIEW2019, now everything works. This is no help in analyzing the problem, but I'm happy now. I tested the two missed features after every step (fresh LV installation, Addons- installation via VIPM, replacing the LabVIEW.ini) and it worked.

As I wrote in a previous post, I had to start the VIPM via LV2018, since on my Windows10- System it isn't accessible anymore with the Windows- Startmenu. This happened with the installation of LV2018, if I remember correctly. And the odd thing is, that LV2019 didn't have the Menu-Item "VI Package Manager..." in the Tools- Menu, besides some others, it seemed quite short. But now, after removing and reinstalling LV this menu item is back. So, maybe there went something wrong in the process of installation.

Thank you all for the hints.

P.S. Since LV2017 I was a bit sad about the poor IDE- performance. While programming and navigating in the block diagram LabVIEW is very lazy, shifting the BD with the mouse while pressing Ctrl+Shift is terrible, Copy-Dragging BD-Items is unreasonable slow. But this has improved with Version 2019 a lot (well, copy-dragging only a little bit). Good work, NI!

Greets, Dave
Message 6 of 13
(2,875 Views)

What is odd is that your report log there lists a lot of stuff on a "Y:" drive?  Is that some sort of network drive?  I would suspect that would be the root of your problem.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,864 Views)

Thanks for reporting back, Dave. I'm glad your system is working now. Please post here if anything goes wrong again.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,848 Views)

I think, this broken VI is accidentally included into the  LLB (am I right, Darren? Smiley Wink).

And on my PC I don't have the Y: drive, but an X: drive, and I create it via cmd- batchfile in the Autostart- folder with the "subst"- command. So I have the same paths to my VIs on the desktop- PC (VIs are situated on the second HD with drive D:) and the Laptop (only single SSD, drive C:, don't want two partitions). This works quite well.

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,800 Views)

@daveTW wrote:

I think, this broken VI is accidentally included into the  LLB (am I right, Darren?).

Which broken VI are you referring to?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,780 Views)