LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with "Prompt for a comment on save VI" during builds

I may be the only one who does it, but I enable the option to prompt for a comment when I save a VI.  (I have code that runs on my SCC to pull those comments into the SCC when I submit files).

The problem is that during builds (EXE and FPGA) I sometimes get prompts for saving comments on files as they are copied to the new application (every time with the Reports Toolkit!).

Is there a way to have LV automatically turn off this option when I run a build, and then turn it back on again after it's finished?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,950 Views)

Hey Jed,

I think I may have a solution.  I have attached a VI Snippit for you to check out. Basically, it checks to see what mode the VI is in and edits that property setting conditionally with the help of property nodes. If it is in development mode, you will still be asked for comments on save. If it is in Run Time System (an executable), it will not prompt you for comments. Give this a shot and see if it works or if you can modify it to fit exactly what you want.

Also, with the VI Snippit, you should be able to drag it onto your block diagram in LabVIEW and know what to do with it.

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,921 Views)

Thank you for the code, but I am not sure how this would help.  I am always in the Development System; the problem is that it prompts during the build process, when I no longer care to enter a comment.  I was hoping there was a callback VI that runs before and after the build process.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,917 Views)

With what version of LabVIEW are you seeing this? Does it happen every time you build?

George M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,905 Views)

I am sure I have seen it on 2009 and 2011, probably 2010.

I just set it up with a simple VI (no code) and built it into an app.  No prompt (as long as everything was saved ahead of time).

(Show Revision number in title bar, prompt for comment when VI is saved)

Then I added the Simple Report VI, saved and ran again.  It looks like the items that require prompts are Controls:

• NI_report.ctl
  • NI_HTML.ctl
  • NI_Standard Report.ctl

Interesting, each of them pops up 2x during the build process.

I went ahead and Mass compiled the Report LLB folder, but that did not help.  I also just tried it in 2009 and 2011 and got the same result both times.

I cannot say for sure, but I believe that I have seen the same issue with other VIs/Controls, but that was a while ago and I can't remember which projects those woudl be.

WOW.  I just re-ran in 2011 with "Disconnect Type Definitions" and I get even more dialogs, inluding Registry Keys, ActiveX, etc.  Probably 50-100 of them.  Unusable in this state.

I hope this helps figure out the issues; but is there a Callback VI where I can insert a command to disable the prompt before the build?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,895 Views)

Have you been able to reproduce this?  It's killing me on my cRIO stuff!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,873 Views)

Hey Jed,

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is something that you can to do automatically change the LabVIEW settings when creating the executable. If it were a property of the executable, that would be possible through property nodes but since it is an actual LabVIEW property I have not been able to come up with something to do it automatically. Since it is always in the development mode when making the executable, the code I posted earlier would not work for you. You can change the setting manually before and after you create the executable. If something new comes up and makes this possible, I will be sure to let you know!

Joe S

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,858 Views)

Hi Jed, 

Do you set the revision history settings through the Tools>>Options dialog box? If so, you could turn it off (manually) from there before building and turning it back on after building your project. This wouldn't work if the VI's Use the default history settings from the Options dialog box setting is unchecked (deselected) in the VI Properties dialog box. In that case, you could try the following two options

• Programmatically go through all the VIs in your project and use the History:Use Defaults Property to change the VIs to use the default settings from Tools>>Options and save the project/VIs. You can then change it through the settings through the Tools>>Optoins before you build. 
    OR 
  • In a pre-build step, go through all the VIs you are building (or has show revision history dialog on save enabled), set the the History:Prompt for Comments At Save Property to be false and save the VI. As a post-build step run the same step but this time set the the History:Prompt for Comments At Save Property to be true for the VIs you care about (or for everything) and save the VI.

This issue was reported to R&D (CAR# 315726) for further investigation. Sorry for your inconvenience. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,840 Views)