From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isn't it time for LV 2020 SP1?

Solved!
Go to solution

Seems a bit late...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 34
(3,550 Views)

LabVIEW 2018 SP1, for example, was released on 3rd of December so there is still time. We're also waiting for it to be able to update our old projects that are now on LabVIEW 2015 SP1.

Lucian
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 34
(3,488 Views)

@billko wrote:

Seems a bit late...

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Except more in regards to "this version seems so flaky, surely there is a bit patch incoming" rather than just the typical timing of releases.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 34
(3,483 Views)

@LucianM wrote:

LabVIEW 2018 SP1, for example, was released on 3rd of December so there is still time. We're also waiting for it to be able to update our old projects that are now on LabVIEW 2015 SP1.

I guess LV 2020 was released in May, so I was hoping it came out soon-ish.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 34
(3,475 Views)

LabVIEW 2020 is such a failure I am expecting NI to skip LV 2021 and go straight to LV 2022 just like Microsoft skipped Windows 9 due to Windows 8 being such a P.O.S.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 34
(3,422 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

LabVIEW 2020 is such a failure I am expecting NI to skip LV 2021 and go straight to LV 2022 just like Microsoft skipped Windows 9 due to Windows 8 being such a P.O.S.

Why do you say it's a failure?

Lucian
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 34
(3,413 Views)

Three separate ATE stations had to be completely wiped and Windows reinstalled due to their boot sectors being corrupted while installing a LabVIEW 2020 application.

NI's response was basically "oops, our bad... Sorry"

And don't even let me get started on the abysmal failure NIPM 2020 is, the board is still littered with posts about that.

The BEST part about all of this is when I go and look at my SSP service request history. 

All my issues are marked "Assumed solved" so as far a NI cares there never was a problem 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 34
(3,403 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

...just like Microsoft skipped Windows 9 due to Windows 8 being such a P.O.S.

Actually, Microsoft skipped "Windows 9" because they wanted to avoid confusion with "Windows 9x" (95 and 98).

Admittedly, I have done very minimal with LabVIEW 2020.  All of my current work is in 2019.  So I will not make any comments on stability, etc. on 2020.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34
(3,322 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

...just like Microsoft skipped Windows 9 due to Windows 8 being such a P.O.S.

Actually, Microsoft skipped "Windows 9" because they wanted to avoid confusion with "Windows 9x" (95 and 98).

Random input: I read somewhere it had to do with some code checking which had long been in place to distinguish Win 85 and 98 from other OSes, and the parsing used to detect that was most likely going to think Windows 9 was actually either 95 or 98, so they skipped it. Literally an oversight in coding leading to a name change....

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2hwlrk/new_windows_version_will_be_called_windows_10/ck...

Message 9 of 34
(3,245 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

Random input: I read somewhere it had to do with some code checking which had long been in place to distinguish Win 85 and 98 from other OSes, and the parsing used to detect that was most likely going to think Windows 9 was actually either 95 or 98, so they skipped it. Literally an oversight in coding leading to a name change....

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/2hwlrk/new_windows_version_will_be_called_windows_10/ck...

A very likely reason. Although I guess the fact that OS X was in fact version 10 did have some influence too. Someone at Microsoft probably thought it would be a good idea to catch up with Apple. 😁

And Apple finally reacted and went to OS 11.0 this year. 😀

So I'm now curious how long Windows 10 will be the last Windows release ever as it was touted on its release and the announcement of the half yearly update as a service idea.

NI skipped LabVIEW 9.0 too and went to yearly releases named after the year right then. Apple's Mac OS 9 was a big failure. It seems like the version number 9.0 causes some bad feelings in the industry.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 34
(3,238 Views)