From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this project possible?

Hello there.

I'm doing a robotics project (for school) with EMG sensors. These sensors measure electric potential in a muscle when it is flexed. Looking at a graph of signal vs. time, one will observe spikes in the signal when the target muscle is flexed.

My goal is to use this type of sensor to control multiple servo motors, each corresponding to a different function on a robotic arm (elbow, wrist, gripper). For this school project we are required to use LabVIEW.

Is it possible to create a variable called 'count' and every time the EMG signal passes a certain threshold, the value of 'count' will be increased? I would then like each value of 'count' to correspond to a different position of the servo motor.  Take the gripper for example:

'Count' = 0       <--- gripper will be wide open

'Count' = 1       <--- gripper will be 1/2 closed

'Count' = 2       <--- gripper will be closed shut

Currently I have an NI 9205 (voltage input module) and an NI 9263 (voltage output module).

Does this task sound possible?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,619 Views)

If you have an array of "Count" levels you could do something similar to what is shown below.

Count.png

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 2 of 4
(2,601 Views)

You might do a little bit of research ("Hey, Google ...") to learn how EMG signals are normally processed (it is not done by "counting spikes", typically).

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 4
(2,558 Views)

What kind of servo motor and servo motor drive are you going to be using? I would highly recommend looking into the LabVIEW SoftMotion Module (there is a free version) if you have supported hardware, it will making motion moves much easier.

CH
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/en-us/support.html
Message 4 of 4
(2,514 Views)