From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a good way to create an Instrument Registry using DVRs?

In the past I have used Single Element Queues (SEQ) and am now just learning how to use DVRs and the In-Place structure..

I am exploring developing a Registry List using DVRs.  Here is a scaled down block diagram which shows the essential parts of how it would work.  In other words, the stuff in the sequence structures would be in a subVI.  

Mark_L_0-1611156331015.png

1) Am I on the right track?

2) Is this pattern a good idea if Value is not a double but a very large array of doubles?

3) Are there any special gotchas to look out for?

For completeness, here is how it would be done with a queue.

Mark_L_1-1611156794584.png

Mark | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,036 Views)

Sure, that works as a way of getting references to instruments and such. You can go down that route, or install G# from VIPM and get reference based classes doing about the same thing. 😉

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,031 Views)

Yamaeda, thank you for the reply.  G# toolkit looks a little daunting for me at the moment.  I am hoping to find something a little more specific just concerning the Instrument Registry list and accessing data in the Instrument Objects in the list.  

Anyone else have a comment on my example?

Mark | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(991 Views)

I think I'd store the DVR itself in another class instead of passing around the DVR wire. I think G# does something similar, maybe?

You'd then be able to make child classes for specific instrument subgroups/types/etc and you'd get protection from someone accidentally using the DVR incorrectly.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(967 Views)

OK.  Thank you.  I will code something up and get back with you all.

Mark | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(959 Views)