LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a good way to create an Instrument Registry using DVRs?

In the past I have used Single Element Queues (SEQ) and am now just learning how to use DVRs and the In-Place structure..

I am exploring developing a Registry List using DVRs.  Here is a scaled down block diagram which shows the essential parts of how it would work.  In other words, the stuff in the sequence structures would be in a subVI.  

Mark_L_0-1611156331015.png

1) Am I on the right track?

2) Is this pattern a good idea if Value is not a double but a very large array of doubles?

3) Are there any special gotchas to look out for?

For completeness, here is how it would be done with a queue.

Mark_L_1-1611156794584.png

Mark | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,040 Views)

Sure, that works as a way of getting references to instruments and such. You can go down that route, or install G# from VIPM and get reference based classes doing about the same thing. 😉

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,035 Views)

Yamaeda, thank you for the reply.  G# toolkit looks a little daunting for me at the moment.  I am hoping to find something a little more specific just concerning the Instrument Registry list and accessing data in the Instrument Objects in the list.  

Anyone else have a comment on my example?

Mark | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(995 Views)

I think I'd store the DVR itself in another class instead of passing around the DVR wire. I think G# does something similar, maybe?

You'd then be able to make child classes for specific instrument subgroups/types/etc and you'd get protection from someone accidentally using the DVR incorrectly.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(971 Views)

OK.  Thank you.  I will code something up and get back with you all.

Mark | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(963 Views)