LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there such a thing as a Packed Library in LV9, what replaced it?

I'm trying to learn how to build standalone applications under LV9 ( used to do it all the time easily on older LV's ).  I am using your white paper published July 29, 2010 "Distributing Applications with the LavVIEW Application Builder".  It has MANY bugs.  But the worst of these is that when I finally got the example to run ( with great effort and many guesses in the absent of accurate information in the paper ), I then went on to the section "Configuring the Build Specification".  It tells me in step 1, to "right click Build Specifications" ( which can only be discovered by the undocumented 'Windows>>Switch to Other Project View" [who knew] )  and select  "New>>Packed Library from the shortcut menu".. Well folks, there is NO PACKED LIBRARY choice? 

Do you have a tutorial for building Applications which is not OBSOLETE and INCOMPLETE?

Thanks ( confused and frustrated beyond words !! )

I am attaching the 'tutorial' which has embedded numerous errata, suggestions and corrections should anyone ever create a usable version.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,268 Views)

Not sure why you are calling a tutorial for LabVIEW 2010 obsolete when you are using LabVIEW 2009.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,265 Views)

Butterfield@Carefusion wrote:

Well folks, there is NO PACKED LIBRARY choice? 

Packed Project Libraries are useful, and unfortunately for you, only available in LV10 and above.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,258 Views)

It only says to select a packed library if you're looking under the packed library section. You said you wanted to build an executable, so why aren't you looking under that section? You obviously saw it, since you spent time writing comments on it.

Butterfield@Carefusion wrote:

It tells me in step 1, to "right click Build Specifications" ( which can only be discovered by the undocumented 'Windows>>Switch to Other Project View" [who knew] )

The project window has two tabs. You need to be in the project view to see that section and it's actually easier to switch to by simply clicking the relevant tab in the project window.

In any case, some of your input might actually be useful to NI, so I would suggest you go back to that tutorial and place a comment there with your input.

Also, just to be productive, you might wish to take a step back and try being calmer and more relaxed. I remember transitioning to LV 8.x and I remember that learning the intricacies of how projects work and what everything means takes a while, as most new features with any amount of complexity would. Regardless of whether or not that tutorial has inconsistencies or not (and my guess is that it wasn't written or reviewed by a tech writer, so it probably does), it does point you to the help for current information, and personally I would expect someone who's using LV and trying to build an executable to be able to find the relevant sections.