LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there debugger which is compatible with the labview real time system?

Hello,
I am trying to find a debugger which is compatible with the labview realtime. Till now i have found that it is not compatible with the ftdi devices. So does anybody know about any other device?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,904 Views)

Do you mean to debug your LabVIEW code running on a Real Time system? You don't debug LabVIEW RT applications like you would with code running on a microcontroller.

You need to enable debugging in the RT application and enable VI server access, but then you can connect to the running application to debug it here:

2016-03-11_11-04-41.png

You can also use the Real Time Execution Trace Toolkit.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,894 Views)

No sorry i think i was not clear. I need to connect a debugger to debug a controller. i was working with OLIMEX debugger with ftdi device, which i found out recently was not compatible with labview realtime. So now i am searching for some option for some different kind of debugger which can be connected to the labview realtime

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,879 Views)

Oh...you want to connect the debugger to LVRT to debug a microcontroller? I understand now - how are you expecting to debug with it?

I thought debuggers normally work with specific debugging applications / IDEs - you obviously wouldn't be able to run these on LVRT? Sometimes programmers/debuggers have a DLL which you can call - but again this would likely be for Windows only.

Of course, you can always do serial communications between LVRT and your microcontroller.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,863 Views)

I guess he is talking about gdb style debugging then. This can theoretically work on the NI Linux Realtime based targets as gdb should be portable to them. But I'm not sure I see the sense in that. The realtime targets are usually headless and debugging is quite interactive in nature.

But the main problem will be to find a debug interface that installs as recognizable device into NI Linux RT and is compatible with the target device to be debugged. Then using gdb it should be possible to issue commands to the the target through the command line (System Exec). This should work to query or update registers or even do firmware uploads etc. if the bootloader allows that, but it is definitely not what I would consider normal debugging. For that you usually have an IDE which both can generate the object code to be deployed to the target as well as doing source level debugging in the running code on the target. That would make little sense on an NI realtime target, since they are not only usually headless but also use a system that is not out of the box binary compatible with standard Linux distributions and I don't see companies like Keil or IAR port their IDEs to such a target.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,842 Views)