From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to remove the password in vi?

Hi all,
Im new to this group. I need suggestions and comments from you all.
I came to know that the password is stored in vi itself when we protect
the vi.(im not sure about it, if anyone knows it please let me know ).
If the password is not stored in vi itself, where is it stored ?
So Is there anyway to open the vi in HEX code format and remove the
password?

Thanks in advance
regards
Bharat

Message 1 of 30
(6,533 Views)

"bcrs" <bharatchandran@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151488715.806720.36540@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
Hi all,
Im new to this group. I need suggestions and comments from you all.
I came to know that the password is stored in vi itself when we protect
the vi.(im not sure about it, if anyone knows it please let me know ).
If the password is not stored in vi itself, where is it stored ?
So Is there anyway to open the vi in HEX code format and remove the
password?

Thanks in advance
regards
Bharat

Probably (I wouldn't know, reversing is illegal ;), the password is a hash of the password and the vi data/code. So removing it would be as simple as removing the hash from the file in a hex editor. But LabVIEW won't open it, because the hash is wrong.

Hope it help (but I guess it won't).

Wiebe.

Message 2 of 30
(6,524 Views)

There is no way to access a password-protected VI without the password (that's kinda the point).  Your only options are to obtain the password, or restore the VI from a previous backup version that was not password-protected.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 30
(6,503 Views)

As Wiebe said..

You can open / look / edit the vi in a Hex Editor...  But the hash will be wrong. 

It may not be possible.... at least not to my knowledge..

(I'm curious what Dennis will say) 😉

Message 4 of 30
(6,505 Views)
I've never made a serious attempt to remove or modify the password and doubt that it is possible. There was a discussion on info-labview a while back about how secure is a password protected VI and if my memory is correct, it's pretty secure. I've never heard of anyone cracking open a VI but then again, I doubt that there are very many people who have seriously tried to. If the original poster has a password protected VI that the password has been forgotten or lost, then my recomendation is to start rewriting the VI from scratch. 
Message 5 of 30
(6,502 Views)

Hi Dennis,

Yes, I remember that discussion.  The vi's are quite secure..  Thus unfortunately, the easier way is to start from scratch...

Ray

Message 6 of 30
(6,498 Views)
This is not a post according to the original topic, but a question regarding vi security.

How secure is my program if I build an executable? I mean how easily can one get the original source code if one has just an executable?

Thomas
Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 30
(6,495 Views)
The source code does not exist at all because the block diagrams have been removed. All that you can do is determine the names of the individual VIs that are part of the exe.
Message 8 of 30
(6,496 Views)

Thanks Dennis

That's an answer I wanted to read. 😉

Using LV8.0
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
Message 9 of 30
(6,489 Views)

"JoeLabView" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1151500209331-384607@exchange.ni.com...
As Wiebe said..
You can open / look / edit the vi in a Hex Editor...&nbsp; But the hash will be wrong.&nbsp;
It may not be possible.... at least not to my knowledge..
(I'm curious what Dennis will say) 😉

Of course it is possible, LabVIEW does it all the time... But it will be quite difficult.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 30
(6,462 Views)