LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to edit the names of the Variables/Tags listed in the .IAK file

I have an .IAK file that has several (about 130) different fieldpoint devices in it and each device has about 90 variables names listed.  I have modified all the names in order to shorten them and standardize/nomalize the variable names.  I would like to be able to just rename the variables in the IAK file, instead of going to each device, connect, 'find devices' in MAX, Save the IAK File (which takes about 10min each) and then drive to the next device and repeat the process 130 times.  I've seen programs that let you view the IAK file, just wondering if the IAK can be edited programmatically.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,208 Views)

CoN-Glenn,

I'm a little confused as to why you want to edit the IAK files programmatically.  Are all the FieldPoints basically the same?  If so, you can just change the .iak file once and then load it to each FieldPoint.

There isn't really a good way to edit .iak files programmatically.

Have a great day,

Chris V

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,197 Views)

The reason is the IAK file has ALL 130+ fieldpoint devices listed, with approx 85 tags per FP, and I have to get the tag information from each site, then I have to copy that file to the server and reload the server.  If (like what happened yesterday) there is a problem saving the .IAK file or the .IAK file gets corrupted, I have to go back to ALL 130+ FP devices and get the information again.  Also, with that many FP stations in the IAK file, it takes a considerable amount of time per save (approx 10min).  On the server, I get the data from these FP devices through OPC that uses the .IAK file.  It's really not an idea situation, but it's what I have to work with.

If it can't be done, it can't be done.  I would think that the file has to be saved in some format, granted probably some proprietary NI format, but if I knew the format, I could write a program to edit it, unless it's also compressed in some propritary NI format.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,172 Views)

Hi CoN-Glenn,

Got it.  That's what I was missing, that you had all of the FPs in the same .iak file.  Is there a specific reason you don't have a separate .iak file for each FP and manage them all through a Measurement & Automation Explorer configuration file?

Have a great day,

Chris V 

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,157 Views)