From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to know that whether a VI Ref has been inserted into (assigned to) a SubPanel?

Hi all, 

My question is "Is there any way to know that whether a VI Ref has been inserted into (assigned to) a SubPanel? ". 

Thanks for your kind help

Godel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(793 Views)

You can check if it's in a sub panel:

In SubPanel.png

Getting a reference to the subpanel a VI is in can be very, very hard.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(758 Views)

I'm not sure about the nature of your question -- are you referring to "Development Mode", where you want to know "What VIs are being used with this subPanel"?, or at Run-Time, "What is the RefNum of the VI that is currently running in the subPanel"?  I think I've asked (and answered, for myself) both interpretations of this question ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(745 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I'm not sure about the nature of your question -- are you referring to "Development Mode", where you want to know "What VIs are being used with this subPanel"?, or at Run-Time, "What is the RefNum of the VI that is currently running in the subPanel"?  I think I've asked (and answered, for myself) both interpretations of this question ...

I think the question is the reverse. Not "what VI is in my subpanel?" but "is my VI in a subpanel?".

Note that TPTB decided it's a terrible idea to give VIs a property to tell which subpanel it's in. Feel free to back me up here. You'd be the first.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(732 Views)

Thank you, Wiebe -- I did, indeed, assume the question was "what VI is in the subPanel".  I used a sub-Panel to display the Front Panel of multiple detached "Clones" that displayed, say, a particular Graph, and kept track of the RefNum (if I had 10 Clones, I'd have an array of 10 RefNums, and would know the index of the Clone being displayed).  In this situation, I could (of course) answer the reverse question, namely "Is Clone 3 being displayed?", just by asking for the index of the Clone being displayed, including having a value for "Nothing is currently in the subPanel".

Does this "roll-your-own solution" handle the concern you had about the VI not having the "Show My subPanel" property?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(722 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I think the question is the reverse. Not "what VI is in my subpanel?" but "is my VI in a subpanel?".

Note that TPTB decided it's a terrible idea to give VIs a property to tell which subpanel it's in. Feel free to back me up here. You'd be the first.

That was a fascinating read.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(697 Views)

@billko wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Bob_Schor wrote:

That was a fascinating read.

I can laugh about it now 😂.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(689 Views)