LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to improve cursor resolution?

I put a cursor (snap to point) on the graph to catch the peak of a spectrum. When I drag the cursor along the spectrum, sometimes it gets the peak but sometimes misses. I guess it depends on the resolution or pixels of that graph, because I can successfully get any peak with the cursor when I limit the frequency range.
Is there anybody could tell me whether there is any way to improve the resolution of the cursor?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,194 Views)
If the peek has been drawn, then there is a pixel for it ! And the cursor should be able to reach it. Your problem is elsewhere... can you post an example, including the data, where we could dig into to see what we find ?
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,177 Views)
Hi Jiankang:

The "resolution" you say depends on your mouse moving hability.

If you want to go point by point, there is a control with four buttons to do that when you select "Show Cursor Lengend".

You can go near the point you want, and then move with the buttons to get the exact point.

Hope it helps,
Aitortxo.
Message 3 of 16
(3,169 Views)

Thanks for the replies.

I attach a simple example here. It has 4096 points and I try to catch every peaks with the cursor. You may limit the x axis to a small range (say, 1-300), and you can get the first peak. But for the whole range (0-4095), I can not get the first peak point. I attach a picture to show the closest point I can catch.

I am also thinking about that it should be possible to find that peak point with the cursor if that point can be displayed. Maybe the mouse is the problem? Any way to change the configuration of the mouse for higher resolution (pixel by pixel)? I looked through the mouse setup in control panel but find nothing related to this.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,156 Views)

Well done ! You are right, I can't catch the peak highest points using the mouse ! That's something new for me.

However, you can still reach the points using the cursor control button (which was offscreen on your vi window).

But this doesn't explain why some points can't be reached. Seems that there is a flaw (not to say a bug..) in the cursor positionning algorithm.

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

Message 5 of 16
(3,139 Views)

Stray thought...

Could there be more data points than pixels and the resolution is limited by pixels?

Can you zoom in and then reach the peaks?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,136 Views)

Yes, zoom in can help the cursor to reach every point.

Just curious whether there is anything limit the resolution of the cursor?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,132 Views)

"...whether there is anything limit the resolution of the cursor?"

I would say the resolution of the display.

Lets say you had 5000 points plotted and the graph was 500 pixels wide. Then every pixel would have to represent 10 data points. In that case, which of the 10 data points should the cursor snap to?

Just my thoughts...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 16
(3,127 Views)

The problem is that that peak is displayed in the full range graph. There should be a pixel corresponding to this point, right? Why can't we reach this pixel?

My guess is that LabVIEW does some compression for the image when the resolution is not enough to show all the data points. Some algorithm will skip some data points and still make the whole image look roughly the same as the non-compressed one. It causes the trouble to match every point on the image.

If this is the reason, I am afraid there is no other solution except "zoom in". 😞

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,123 Views)

I like your guess!

It is sorta like pointing at a car lot and saying "I want that car." Which car?

It is consitent with my (old and failing) memory of something I think Greg McKaskle wrote years ago. I seem to remember him saying that in situation were there was more data than pixels, LV would attempt to render the details as best it could. An example would be if (in my previous example) there was a spike in the reading. This would be represented by a verticle line, all at the same horizontal pixel location.

Ben

Message 10 of 16
(3,124 Views)