LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way of creating a VI to edit the tabbing order of another VI?

At work I am using LabView 8.2 and I would like to create a VI to rearrange the tabbing order of another VI so that when I go to select from a list of my variables they will be grouped by type and then sorted alphabetically.  I can't seem to find any way of accessing the Tabbing order as a property of a VI. Any help would be appreciated thanks. Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,291 Views)

Hi Mike,

you can use an event structure. There you can use the event "Key down?" and check if the scan code is 15. If this is the case, then you can reject it and set the focus to the object you want, read this information from your own array, which you build as you need it.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,271 Views)

I don't think I was clear enough.  I don't actually care about the order that the tabs go through.  My goal is to reorder how local variables appear in the list when you are selecting an entry for the variable. In 8.2 the order of the list is directly related to the tabbing order. So I would have to actually edit the tabbing order directly to have the effect I want. Again any help is appreciated and thanks for the suggestions Mike.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,250 Views)

Off-hand I don't think you can do this, even with scripting, as I just took a look through the available properties and methods.

However, this leads to a different question: why? Indeed, the fact that you want to do this leads me to believe that you may be using way too many local variables, as this is not normally an issue with normal LabVIEW programming. We usually see this sort of thing when folks lean a wee bit too much on the "local variable crutch". 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,241 Views)