LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an easy way to program a PIC16F77 via LabVIEW 7.1 and a DAQ?

I am a student working on a senior design project that requires us to program a PIC16F77.  I have no experience with PIC programming, and was hoping for an easy way to do this in LabVIEW.  If anyone has done this before I would appreciate a few pointers, or maybe even an example program.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,527 Views)

Hi,

Although NI has some versions of LabVIEW that can program microcontrollers directly (see ni.com/embedded), they are typically limited to 32-bit microprocessors and DSPs and thus are not compatible with the 8-bit PIC.  I'm sorry that the news is not better.

Regards,
P.J.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,510 Views)
Just use one port to supplly the timing strobes and another for the serial data to be programmed. Only a single line would be needed for data. Most likely there will be no need for buffering. You will need a source for proper voltages as well but that can all be wired on a perf board with a zif socket. Maybe just use a multi output  DC-DC convertor to provide any needed voltages. Then you will just need one power supply such as a small 50W 24VDC supply. Of course you will need to provide some minimal control circuitry for that. Just follow the programming chart provided by microchip when you write the LV program.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,503 Views)

Greetings,

I would recommend using an embedded bootloader (protected block) and programming the PIC serially with your application (normal production use).  Use a max232 chip for the TTL to RS232 conversion or alternatively use an Silicon Labs or FTDI usb chip with the virtual serial port drivers (VCP).  Access the PC's serial port from LabView using VISA (numerous examples) to send the hex file.  The bootloader is normally programmed into the microprocessor with a standard programmer (PICStartPlus, ICD2, ICDU40, etc).

I have used the CCS C Compiler for PICs with exceptional results (easy to use, not extremely expensive, numerous examples, library of functions).  Hi-tech also provides a demo of their C compiler with example code posted on Microchip's website.  The protocol and hex file format should be apparent from the bootloader example code (CCS bootloader.h/c loader.c).  The best source of information is Microchip's website.  They provide data sheets, application notes, etc.

Hopefully I haven't mis-interpretted your posting and your goal isn't to emulate a device programmer from LabView.  If I have, my bad.  Microchip has numerous data sheets on the programming spec (voltage levels, bit timing, sample circuits, etc).

Cheers,

JMA_eng

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,494 Views)
Unless your project specifically requires you to use LabVIEW e.g. for some advanced / high level stuff etc., you might consider leaving LabVIEW out of the equation in attempting to program the PIC device, there are only about 16 commands to get your head around and more programming boards / techniques on the net than you could ever possbily dream of.

If you realy want something more elegant than assembler to work with, try FLOWCODE by Matrix Multimedia, it's likely that the institution you are at already have a copy, there is a demo version. MPLAB which I believe is also free from Microchip is a competent assembler and easy to get going with. There is also an IDE which includes a simulator as well; I think this is free also.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,492 Views)