From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an Universal USB Driver for LabView available?

I wan't to Communicate to an Microcontroller over the USB Interface.
On the National Home page I found only Device Driver for USB for special Devices, like DAQ-Cards, etc. but no universal Driver for USB.
I thought there's may be one available like the seriell Driver for the RS232 Interface of the PC, because today every new PC has an USB Interface.
If sombody knows somthing about that, please let me know.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,471 Views)
There are currently no VI's designed to communicate through USB. The reason is this: It is best not to think of USB as a serial port, but rather as a bus. It is like asking when there will be a "PCI Read.vi" and "PCI Write.vi". The protocol for talking to a USB device is specific to each device. You have to open up some channels to the device (how many is specific to the device), and then you have to peek and poke values over those channels in a device-dependent way. I have heard of some users trying to use USB by direct register access or by accessing the windows low level USB API, but I don't know how successful they were
Message 2 of 2
(2,471 Views)