From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to use a text file or spreadsheet instead of the GUI to initialize variables in LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am new to LabVIEW and have a question. Is there a way to completely skip the GUI altogether and just drive a LabVIEW program with a "settings" file/spreadsheet that initializes variables and such?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,395 Views)

Of course.   Search the forum or LabVIEW example finder for how to read either a text file or an Excel file.

Then you can use that data in your program.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,370 Views)
Solution
Accepted by stdel

Did you notice the File I/O Palette on the Block Diagram?  In addition to text, "Delimited Spreadsheet" (.csv Text files), and otherwise-unformatted Text files, you can also find (on this Palette) functions to read/write XML files and Configuration (a.k.a. ".ini") files.  Finally, if you have the Report Generation Toolkit installed, you can read/write Excel (meaning .xlsx) files, but this shows up on a different ("Report Generation") Palette.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,345 Views)

You can also use JSON files if you are familiar with those.  check out "JKI JSON" or "JSONText" on the VI Package Manager.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,321 Views)

There is also a full set of database connectivity tools

Frozen_0-1581607113776.png

So to recap...

1) ini file
2) xml

3) json

4) csv

5) xls

6) database

Shall I go on?

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,319 Views)

Got it! Thanks everyone for the replies!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,293 Views)