LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to title the columns of a spreadsheet using a 'write to spreadsheet' function?

Solved!
Go to solution
Is there a simple way inorder to get the first row of every file I create to be titles?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,500 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ssteel

Not with "Write to Spreadsheetfile.vi". You can use low-leven file I/O functions to do that.

Christian

Message 2 of 10
(3,492 Views)

Christian_M wrote:

Not with "Write to Spreadsheetfile.vi". You can use low-leven file I/O functions to do that.

Christian

I do not agree. The "Write to Spreadsheetfile.vi" can very easy be modified to this. This VI is an open VI that can be opened and modified by the user. The built in Labview functions is not some holy grail never to be touched or tweaked. Take a look at my draft. Just remember to use "save as" then saving and do not save in the vi.lib folder

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 3 of 10
(3,473 Views)

There are always (most of the time) different ways to get something working.

The reason why I don't suggest to modify vi.lib VIs is that users very often save them as the origin, and this might cause problems in future.

You mentioned it right with your last sentence.

Anyway I'm not a friend of using "Write to Spreadsheet File.vi" when I have to write different datatypes, or a header or modify something.

This all could be done very easy with the lowlevel functions, this with better performance and more possiblities.

But you are right, to modify the VI works too.

Christian

Message 4 of 10
(3,456 Views)
Actually Christian! Then I have messed up the Labview by overwriting built in Labview functions. I enjoy calling NI support and yell to them for selling such buggy software. It gives me the feeling of having the upper handSmiley Very Happy

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,446 Views)

I don't know if this fits what you are looking for but I find this is a fairly easy way to title an excel document for a quick export. The string to array can be avoided if you already have an array of strings (Scilab output does not allow groups of strings so that is already a comma seperated variable).

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,209 Views)

Thanks for your example, but why are you posting it to a year old thread?  I would have hoped the original poster had found a solution by now.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,204 Views)

I was looking for an answer to the above question and didn't find an answer that worked easily so once I worked it out for my self I thought it could work as advice to others.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,193 Views)

could you please tell me in detail that how can I title the columns by using low level file I/O function?! I mean which one should I choose and ...,

Sry that my question looks primery beacuase I am beginner. 

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,897 Views)

You can simply use the Write to Text File.  I would put the headers in a string and then use the Array to Spreadsheet String to get the text to write.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,881 Views)