LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to map VISA Specification Names to MAX Aliases

I must be missing something simple. I am looking for a way to map a found resource location such as PXI1::12::INSTR to the alias assigned in MAX. Any ideas?
Chris
Practical Physics, LLC
www.practicalphysicsllc.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,425 Views)
How are you finding the canonical name now? If you are using the VISA Find Resource, if you specify a search mode of 2, it will return the aliases if they exist.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,411 Views)
I had tried that as well as the DAQmx DeviceNames property, but neither returned all of the aliases. Your post got me thinking, and I found the problem. While the MAX DAQmx device listing appears to have aliases assigned, the same boards listed under the PXI chassis in MAX do not have aliases assigned. It would be nice if I could programmatically assign the aliases, so I don't have to care about MAX. The other way around would be if there was a way to wire a canonical name into a VI that was expecting a name in the format of Alias/port#/line#, but I haven't figured that out yet.
Chris
Practical Physics, LLC
www.practicalphysicsllc.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,407 Views)
Hi Chris,

There's actually another discussion forum post here where Dennis mentions editing the file \VXIpnp\WinNT\NIVisa\visaconf.ini with custom alias names.  I tested this out on my system and it worked fine in allowing me to define an alias for a PXI device.

Do your DAQmx supported PXI devices not show up under NI-DAQmx Devices in MAX?  They should default to device names of PXI#Slot#.  I'm unsure of a way that makes it possible to use the VISA canonical name instead of the device name for a DAQmx function call.

Regards,
Andrew W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,377 Views)