LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to link a numeric indicator in the front panel to a chart on a different part of the front panel?

I will be adding 50 waveform charts to my front panel which won't be viewable all on one screen. I wanted to put 50 numeric indicators visable on the front panel without scrolling and then somehow link each numeric indictor to its respective chart (hopefully through double clicking the indicator's name) so that when I click the indicator, I am automatically brought to its chart without scrolling. Is this even possible? Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,890 Views)

Rather than using 50 different indicators and 50 different graphs, you might want to use just a few graphs and indicators, then use logic in your program to determine what data, the graphs and indicators display. I cant imagine a program with that many graphs and indicators would be easy to use or program.

If you are dead set on approaching the problem with scrolling the panel you could code the behaviour with an event structure and front panel property nodes.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,878 Views)

Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you mean, but my idea is that each indicator is a unique data stream and I would want each indicator and graph to only show the particular data assigned to it. I will monitoring voltage and current from 50 different motors so each motor will indicate different voltages and currents. Could you maybe explain how using a few charts would work with 50 unique sets of data?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,866 Views)

There is a phenonomon called "Information Overload".  50 graphs would fit this bill.  What I would recommend is have something more like 4 to 6 graphs with a dropdown to choose which motor's information is displayed in that graph.  This will be a lot more scalable and easier on the user.

You could then have a table to the side that has all of the latest data.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 7
(2,856 Views)

Haha you've given me high quality answers all day today. Very helpful. I greatly appreciate it. I didn't realize I could create a dropdown menu.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,840 Views)

@msiwk wrote:

Perhaps I don't understand exactly what you mean, but my idea is that each indicator is a unique data stream and I would want each indicator and graph to only show the particular data assigned to it. I will monitoring voltage and current from 50 different motors so each motor will indicate different voltages and currents. Could you maybe explain how using a few charts would work with 50 unique sets of data?

One simple way you could do it is that you could collect all of your data into a 2d array, then use an control or (even better)  a dropdown box to determine which row of the 2d array is selected. A snippet with the basic idea is attached.

Another way would be to add them all as traces onto a chart and then use property nodes to determine which one is visible at a given time(though I am a bit skeptical that would work very well, with that many traces).
index.png

Message 6 of 7
(2,836 Views)

@msiwk wrote:

I didn't realize I could create a dropdown menu.

It is called a Ring.  Very useful in these situations.  The idea here is that you can populate the strings with the names of the motors.  The the data type of the ring should be an I32, making it very easy to just do an Index Array to get the waveform(s) you want in the graph.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,825 Views)