From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to force "Clean Up Wire" feature to use Grid Alignment?

Is there a way to force the "Clean Up Wire" feature to use Grid Alignment? I never use block diagram cleanup, but very often I try to use the Clean Up Wire feature...but the vast majority of the time it makes a bigger mess of things and I just end up using it to reduce kinks and then re-align the wires myself...if there was a way to force it to snap to grid, it would make my life way easier! I've played around in the Tools>Options>Block Diagram menu, but nothing seems to work....but I just can't believe it isn't possible, I must be missing something? What's the point of having a grid if the wires won't snap to them?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,822 Views)

No snap to grid functionality, but you could make the wire spacing  settings match the grid spacing settings. It doesn't fit perfectly because subVI terminals make everything shift a weird number of pixels, but that may be the closest you can get.

I use auto-cleanup on small subVI code just to make it cleaner without taking the time to drag stuff around. I love auto-cleanup for this reason, hence I adapted my profile avatar from the auto-cleanup illustration.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,818 Views)

@James.M wrote:

No snap to grid functionality, but you could make the wire spacing  settings match the grid spacing settings. It doesn't fit perfectly because subVI terminals make everything shift a weird number of pixels, but that may be the closest you can get.

I use auto-cleanup on small subVI code just to make it cleaner without taking the time to drag stuff around. I love auto-cleanup for this reason, hence I adapted my profile avatar from the auto-cleanup illustration.

I do the same thing.

Auto-cleanup on large BD's is good for one thing, though - if you use auto-clean and the code looks nicer, it's time to re-think your coding habits.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,779 Views)

As far as I can tell I don’t think it is possible in the current version of LabVIEW, but it's a really good idea. I don't know if you know about the LabVIEW idea exchange, but it’s a page that R&D monitors and sometimes ideas from there get added to future versions of LabVIEW so it might be worth posting.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/labviewideas

A Johnson
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,728 Views)

Good idea. Just submitted it! 🙂

Message 5 of 5
(2,712 Views)