From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to download firmware from a Labview GUI to an Actel FPGA or a ARM Processor?

Solved!
Go to solution

I dont know if it is possible but i have a couple of test that need to be done where multiple firmware is requiered to be downloaded to the pcb. So everytime i need to go and open Flash Pro(microsemi) and download firmware to the Actel FPGA and then go back to labview. I wonder if there is a way to do that from my labview Vi so that firmware will download automatically?

thanks

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,087 Views)

Hello,

Here is a toolkit that you might want to look in to for your application. It looks like you can download an evaluation version:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209852

Also, this forum post seems to discuss a similar topic that might have some useful information:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Embedded/Will-it-be-possible-to-program-an-ARM-Cortex-R4-device-usin...

Thanks!

Stephanie S.
Application Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,058 Views)

Is there a command line tool for programming the device? I have worked with Microchip PICs before and there is a command line tool which allows you to specify the device type and the path to the binary program file and it will flash the device.

If there is a similar command line tool for your devices - you can use a System Exec.vi call to program the device from within LabVIEW.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,054 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author buton

You should be able to make TCL scripts inside of your Flash Pro software.  They have a macro generator that will just mimic what you do.  Save off that TCL file.  You can then load Flash Pro using the System Exec with a parameter pointing to that script file.  Flash Pro will then run that script and close when done.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 8
(4,043 Views)

Thank you that seems a good idea... i will look in to that 🙂

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,037 Views)

It worked great so far in flash pro and keil...

thanks !!!

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,958 Views)

Thank you, everyone, for your input and I am glad I found this blog.

I wanted to ask if there's a way to retrieve the text output data that flashpro.exe outputs into LabView? Placing an indicator onto standard output and standard error terminals of Sys.exe vi doesn't help.

Thanks,

Rav.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,627 Views)

standard error and standard output will only show what would be printed on the command line when you start your program in the Command Line Windows (cmd.exe). And this only works if you specifically set the boolean to wait for the program to finish to true.

If your program displays a GUI during run there is no easy way to retrieve the information from that GUI into LabVIEW.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,618 Views)