LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way for Labview to take control of a file that is already in use

Axehandler wrote:
The Data is time sensitive.  The unit collecting the Data is dumb just relays the data to the pc. So I am time stamping it as the data comes in and i'm having issues with the time stamping if i hold it for writting later.

I'm not sure why that is a problem.

Your VI that writes the data to a file is on the PC.  Correct?  If it can't write to a file, store the data and the timestamp associated with that data that would be written to the file in a queue.  In a consumer loop, when data is present in the queue, try to open the file.  If you can open it, dequeue the data and the timestamp and write it out.  If you can't open the file, wait some period of time and try again later.

It's a basic producer/consumer architecture.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(482 Views)
Why can't you have LabVIEW keep the file open? This way the backup process won't be able to touch it.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(447 Views)

altenbach wrote:
Why can't you have LabVIEW keep the file open? This way the backup process won't be able to touch it.

Hard to do.  Have several independent .exe files that need to access the files for viewing the data, processing data and the like.

However, I have found the non-Labview issue causing my access errors anyway.  Thanks to most of your suggestions here I have pinned it down to several combined problems.  Defragging software combined with data backup and antivirus settings are causing a 'perfect storm' of crap.  I have optimized their settings and now the errors are all gone.

Thanks for the help 🙂

Axe.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(441 Views)